Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Bullets / Re: Cross Reference MM to RBTR
« Last post by Jim T on August 18, 2023, 11:23:40 PM »
I started one once...............
Artillery / Re: Fragment ID
« Last post by Dave on August 09, 2023, 01:29:11 PM »
It did fit the arc you suggested. So it?s a 9? shell.
« Last post by Dave on August 09, 2023, 11:49:51 AM »
Carl, first thank you for your response. Second, thank you for the great idea!  I?ll do that. Based on the thickness, I?d guessed a 9? from the info I found in my half-shell book but wanted other opinions. Thanks again.
« Last post by CarlS on August 09, 2023, 12:08:53 AM »
Hello,

I believe that is a fragment from a 9" cannon ball.   It certainly looks like a ball fragment but he circumference would need to be determined.  You can do this by drawing arcs on some cardboard that would match the bore diameter of balls of that general size.  So, for example, since I think that is a 9" ball frag I'd cut an arch of circle that is 8.9" in diameter and then cut it out.  The frag will match that curve when you seat it against the cardboard arc.  I carry some of these with me as they take guesswork out of ID'ing frags.
Bullets / Cross Reference MM to RBTR
« Last post by ColtsPop on August 07, 2023, 07:19:50 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of a cross reference between McKee and Mason and Roundball to Rimfire volumes?
Artillery / Fragment ID
« Last post by Dave on August 07, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
Looking for thoughts on this fragment that was an early battlefield pickup at Spanish Fort.  It's thick!  1.71" thick actually.
Bullets / Which of these Trans-Mississippi Types is rarest
« Last post by ColtsPop on August 05, 2023, 09:25:35 AM »
Let?s see what our experienced collectors and detectorists think about the most difficult Trans-Miss types.
Bullets / Re: Unusual Bullets from Shiloh
« Last post by ColtsPop on August 05, 2023, 09:18:08 AM »
Thanks Mike!
Bullets / Re: Unusual Bullets from Shiloh
« Last post by emike123 on August 04, 2023, 02:05:46 PM »
The one on the left looks like a .45-70 round and the other two are probably shotgun slugs for hunting.  In any event, post war.
Remembering The Great Ones / Re: Dean Thomas
« Last post by emike123 on August 04, 2023, 02:01:39 PM »
Very sad indeed.  My thoughts continue to go out to his large circle of family and friends, but especially to his little brother Jim and his widow, Sally.

Members of this forum community should know that Dean was behind this forum from the start.  He had neglected to re-up his domain name registration on the predecessor website and upon expiry it got hijacked by an Asian outfit who tried to gouge him into paying big bucks to get it back.  Over dinner at Sportsman's outside Nashville, (where he is the only person I have ever eaten with at a restaurant to order a fried bologna sandwich off the menu), Dean (& Jim, his accomplice) sweet talked Carl and me into launching this new site.

And so, dear Dean-o, I think it is entirely fitting that we toast you here. 

Rest in peace, friend.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10