Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Preservation Question- The Other "Long Arm"  (Read 3342 times)

Jine

Preservation Question- The Other "Long Arm"
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
Maybe this belongs on the bullet forum but knowing there's a lot of experience with iron on here I wanted to ask about preserving an Enfield barrel that I dug yesterday. The soil had been very kind to it and the nipple and both sights are complete.

My question is this- I've been very pleased with the lye/zinc bath method for preserving artillery shells and wondered if this is a viable, acceptable method of preserving a rifle barrel. If so, I thought that after the bath I might be able to manually brush the bore as good as is possible and then perhaps line it with melting Briwax worked into it on the warmed metal. Is my contemplated methodology flawed, or is there a sure-fire method? I've done a little electrolysis in the past but am fond of the lye/zinc.

Speaking of sure-fire or not, it appears to still have a round present. After cleaning the bore out the rammer falls 1.5 inches short of the breach.

TIA for any input and direction!!!
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Preservation Question- The Other "Long Arm"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
 I say go with that you are comfortable with and not hone your skills on a relic as nice as that.  Zinc and lye is probably a good solution anyway as it won't be as aggressive as electrolysis can be and you can monitor it a bit better.  Plus you won't need to line a long tank with metal.  Would love to see a before and after image!
Best,
Carl

Jine

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
Thank you Carl! That's good news (what I was hoping to hear). I looked up this thread http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1383.msg10686#msg10686]]http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1383.msg10686#msg10686 and took note of Pete's insistence on the use of a plastic container. That's my present challenge, to find one at least 42" long; perhaps some solution can be had in PVC pipe. The link you mentioned there is no longer active, but was a good resource as I recall.

I've attached an image of the breech end after a little mud removal. The bore is in surprisingly good shape, I'm thinking protected by about a four inch plug of clay I had to work out of there. I can see a bullet in the breech with a light held just-so. I'll provide at least one more update upon completion of this project.

Thank you again for your reply! :)

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »
Hello,

Try this link:
    http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1383.msg10686#msg10686
It goes directly to Pete's Z&L excellent overview.

Regarding the tub, your idea of using PVC pipe is likely a good one.  You can get a pretty good size diameter pipe from Home Depot or similar.  If energetic you could cut a 1/2-section or less from it length-wise and then glue end caps on it to make a tank that you can see what is going on and easily check.  Plus it would be easier to insert the rifle without damage and distribute the zinc.  But it might be fine to stand it on end with one cap on the bottom.  I haven't done much Z&L cleaning and none in over 30 years so not a good source of recommendation there. 

Best of luck!  Very nice relic!
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 05:36:09 AM »
I used a pvc pipe to treat a an Enfield I found on a shipwreck and it did the trick, however I have never done the zinc and lye thing so I can't speak about that

Jine

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:01:05 AM »
Thanks again Carl, and to divedigger for the confirmation on the pipe. I'll cut it lengthwise to be able to observe what's happening and also to evenly distribute the zincolns.

I'm more comfortable with the zinc/lye process after seeing the condition of the bore; my concern was any serious rust I'd need to remove that was out of reach but am greatly relieved and surprised to see that won't be an issue. I also just ordered a borescope to inspect the bullet, which from about three feet away looks like the rammer marks are evident.

That treatment has really worked well for me since Pete showed me how to clean an item after using it, just lightly tapping away any irregularities or flakes in the surface.

Thanks again! Merry Christmas!!!

Jine