Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Sectioned Shell  (Read 9908 times)

Garret

• Email
Sectioned Shell
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:53 AM »
Jon was writing in a previous post about sectioned polygonals.  Does anyone have a sectioned large shell, such as the 11" Dahlgren that Jack Bell has in his book, filled with case shot?  Has anyone seen a sectioned 15" case shot?    How much does something like that go for when it is on the market? 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

jonpatterson

• Email
Re: Sectioned Shell
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
Hey Garret

I have never seen any of the large sizes.  Actually didn't realize they came that big. Guess I need to check Jack Bell's book closer.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
Hello,

You see the larger shells cut but not nearly as often.  It takes a larger saw to cut them which less people have access to.  The cannon balls with the lead shot inside that you often see are the 9-inch Bormann balls.  Occasionally those show up but I don't recall the price range.  Someone with a better memory will have to provide that info. 
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
Thanks Carl and Jon.   I've always admired the one in Jack's book.  I suppose it would have to be a pretty beat up shell for someone to want to cut it, since they are less common than the 12 pounders....And 11" and 15" case shot would be more rare than the shell. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
I always thought those were cool too, G-man, and Jack's is especially nice.  I recently got a rough 9" one and had it cut. A forum member got one half but I kept this one shown next to a 7" stand of grape I got a year ago this weekend.  The picture is off my phone so low quality and hopefully not too huge (Carl pls edit if so)

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Nice looking sectioned shell Mike.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

Garret

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
That's what I'm talking about, Mike!

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
Here is a photograph of a Naval Case Shot that I found years ago. For some reason it stayed together.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
I got a couple of the big sectioned ones from Harry R a few years back - the 200 pound Parrott and a very large Schenkl. They are nice to have to show how the shells functioned. I think these are the same ones from the book.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
Yeah, I think your sectioned 8" Schenkl is the same one from Jack's book.