Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Here comes the judge!  (Read 6625 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Here comes the judge!
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »
Yesterday, forum member Judge Flower came up to visit Chicago at the nicest time of year and we got together for a day of Civil War and deep dish pizza.  One of our stops was the Confederate Mound at Oakwoods Cemetery.

This is the final resting place of approximately 4,200 Confederate prisoners from Camp Douglas and even a few US soldiers, presumably guards?

Here is a little blurb on the site:

http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/national_cemeteries/Illinois/Confederate_Mound_Oak_Woods_Cemetery.html

Although nothing can atone for the horrors of the prison camp, they did a nice job here and had a huge tribute attending by the President when they dedicated the site in 1895.  Its a cool place down in a sketchy area of Chicago that I only get to when I have visitors like Gary, Carl and Jack.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Here comes the judge!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »
Shot of the front and one of four Ordnance rifles around the monument:

Gary is looking at the names in the above shot and here is one worth further investigation:

Final resting place nearby for a famous person:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:28:24 AM by emike123 »

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »
Great photos Mike, there are a couple of good books on Camp Douglas for those interested in the history of Chicago at the time and Camp Douglas.

bluelake

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
My great grandfather (known as John Kegnot during the CW--he was mentioned a few times in the book, "These Men Have Seen Hard Service", by Ray Herek) was, along with his half-brother, the first Indians in the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters (Co. B).  Evidently, he was assigned guard duty at Camp Douglas, but deserted, presumably due to boredom and wanting to get into the action.  He was located and returned to his unit.  He took part in the Battle of Rheam's Station and was captured, spending the rest of the war in a POW camp himself. 

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
I worked almost eight years six blocks away from there and didn't even know it existed until reading your posting. Now I will have to add it to my list of places to go next time I go into the city with friends from out of town.  Thanks for posting and the pics.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
As eMike mentined, he was kind enough to take me on a great tour of his city.  There is an amazing amount of Civil War history there.  I won't even start on the incredible museums.  The cemetary tour is a good one you'll want to take.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
       anybody wants to come to Wilmington, NC and I will happily give them a tour of the area. Lots to do and see around here....

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the offer.  I was in Wilmington some years ago before I knew you and can vouch that it's a nice place to visit.  Great beaches.  The USS North Carolina is a must see not to mention the various Civil War forts and sites.  The amount of sand to be moved to build Fort Fisher is amazing.  I hope to get by soon and see your amazing collection.  There are a few other forumites in the area as well.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »
I may take you up on that some day, I was in Wilmington, last year. My Step mothers mom lives there in a nursing home and we all went and visited for a week. along with other family. May go back sometime.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.