Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate fuse question  (Read 7569 times)

John M. Brooke

Confederate fuse question
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »
I just picked up a confederate copper fuse adapter from the Richmond show.
The paper time fuse is still partially there. The patina and dirt indicate it did not
come from a dud. How is it possible to recover one outside of the shell with the paper
Intact? It should of burned up when it blew. Did they insert the paper fuse before
Screwing it in the shell? I showed it to several people at the show all agreed the paper
Fuse left was the real deal not added later. Also I know it has been covered before
But what arsenal does the "F" mark come from? Thanks

Pete George

• Email
Re: Confederate fuse question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »
  I wish you'd known I had a table at that show, and brought it to me. I'd have explained it for you there.

We relic-diggers often find the CS copper timefuze adapter plugs with remnants of the paper-bodied timefuze in them.  The paper is preserved because while the fuzeplug was laying in damp ground the paper got "impregnated" by copper oxide, which is toxic to the insects and bacteria etc which would normally eat the paper.  That's the same reason brass buttons are sometimes found with cotten thread still intact in the loop.  Toxic metal oxide impregnation is also why lead bullets sometimes get dug with remnants of the paper cartridge still well-preserved on them, and some "lead-filled" buckles, breastplates, and boxplates get dug with a chunk of the leather they were mounted on still present on their back.

Regards,
Pete

John M. Brooke

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks Pete, I saw your table was in the far left corner when you
first enter the show. It seemed after every lap I made by your table
You were in conversation with another artillery fan. Didn't want to interrupt.
Next time I will wait and say hello.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
  Please do!  I always enjoy meeting fellow forum posters in real-life.

An unavoidable side effect of being widely known as a "no charge" giver of detailed relic information is a waiting-line for that free service at my relic show table.  (I do it because Tom Dickey and John Sexton gave me LOTS of relic-info, gratis, and 30-something years later I have not forgotten their generous gifts of knowledge.)

Afternoons are the best time, when the crowd at the show has thinned out.

Regards,
Pete