Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Another mystery part -- ID requested  (Read 8043 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Another mystery part -- ID requested
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
I got this out of a sizable digger collection from the Mobile area.  I kind of dismissed it as being a fuse part until I saw another one in a West Virginia collector's collection.  It could be nothing more than a piece to telephone or electrical equipment or some such, but both these guys thought it was a percussion fuse top.  It is not in Jones' fuse book.

0.96" across at the threads.  Looks to be 11.5 tpi, but could be 11 which would be odd also for a fuse.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Another mystery part -- ID requested
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »
Mike,
What is it made of?  No visible means to thread it in a projo.   No spanner holes, screwdriver slots, wrench slot or finger grips.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Actually, its tough to see because they blend in to the background, but at 3 and 9 o'clock there are slots in the top for screwing it in.  Its some sort of "white metal."

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:51:29 AM »
Mike,
     In my humble opinion i would have to say that it is a shipping plug of some sort. To what I dont know. Being made of white metal as it appears to be that would be my best guess but the thread count and size doesnt seem right for artillery but then again I am no expert on all artillery. Hope we can find out just what it is.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
Mike,
     Thread pitch for 1" electrical conduit is 11.5.  I'll look through my equipment catalogs and see if I can find that particular head configuration.
Dan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
Thanks Dan.  I always thought it'd be something like that, but seeing one in two different collections made me want to know for sure.