Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Spring is here!  (Read 8015 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Spring is here!
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
Well, I really felt like spring is here today.  Besides being a beautiful day in the mid-70's, I saw my first snake and firefly of the year.  Not really forum related but I saw them while making my occassioinal run on Kennesaw Mountain Batttlefield Park; hence the tie-in to the forum since it was a decent size artillery battle.   ;D
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
Re: Spring is here!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
  Next time you're doing your jog on the mountain, please pause a moment and give a salute for me at the position of the Hoskins Battery (which was firing the 2.9" Brooke shells from there) and Lumsden's Battery (whose 12-pounder smoothbores singlehandedly took on the yankees' 24-gun battery from that position).  Thanks.  :)

Regards,
Pete <><

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »
Pete,

Will do.  As you know I don't live very far from Lumsden's Battery so see that area quite often.  I know of two batteries that fired the Brookes here so will give them both a salute since that's my favorite shell.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:52 AM »
  The very first Confederate rifle-shell I dug was a 2.9" Brooke, back in 1975, I think.  It was an "overshot" dud, fired from the main CS trench-line on the Dallas Road toward the Bald Knob.  I still own it, of course.

Steve Griffith was hunting with me that day.  When I pulled it out of the ground, I yelled to him "It's a Brooke!!!"  The result of my scream was that he found a 2.9" Read-Blakely as he walked toward me to see my Brooke.  I suspect he also might remember that day.

I wish you good fortune when you go digging in that area.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
Great story.  Very cool that your first rifled shell was a small Brooke.  I have a Brooke and Read I found in that low area in front of that hill many years ago.  They're not in the best condition but they are what they are.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:46:32 AM »
Never dug a whole shell, a few frags, thats it. I am jealous. Lol. congrats guys.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Yep spring is here, my 10 year old is outside shooting carpenter bees with an airsoft gun

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
79 degrees in Illinois.  I'd be outside enjoying it if Carl would keep up with the new registrants.  One from Pakistan got flushed but welcome to our newest member from MS!