Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 7889 times)

ETEX

Hurricane Irene
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
Just wishing the best for all the forum members on the eastern seaboard. My blessings are with all of yall.

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:38 PM »
 Thank you. We lost power for about 4 hours already this afternoon, just got it back on.  Heavy constant rain bands and high winds are now rockin' the house here in coastal Carolina, looks like by morning I'm gonna have a mess to clean up. Such is the price for living next to the beach ......

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
Of course I'm sure you'll clean up the yard right after a careful scouring of the Fort Fisher beaches to see what turned up!   ;D

Seriously though, best to you Dave and everyone in the area.  I hope it turns out to be nothing more than a good bit of rain for you.  My family is from the Outer Banks and I used to live in Norfolk, Va. area and remember well a few huricanes coming up that route.  That low land can sure flood and those beaches sure take a pounding.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:32:48 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
   Carl,    well....     funny you mention Fort Fisher. I did go down there today and it was still blowing probably 30 kts. I picked up a friend to do some eyeballing in front of the fort. We parked my truck, and first thing we see is some lady that was picking up conch shells, carrying an Enfield musket !!!!  Holy Toledo, I think. So we talk to her, and of course she wants to keep it. Which means the wood will be dry powder and worthless without conservation in a month. The barrel was not there, but, by God, she picked up an Enfield walking the beach.........  she said some other lady found a few bullets she showed her.
     We went a little north of the fort and took out our detectors, and dug for awhile on the beach. I found a lead sabot from a 3 inch shell, not sure which shell, as it was deformed. Found a frag and alot of WW2 bullets. Nothing earth shattering, but it beats picking up the yard after the storm.
     I'm wishing the best for everybody up in Virginia along the shore. This storm wasn't all that powerful, but it has been on us [ still is blowing 30 plus] for over 24 hours now. Usually they ar gone in 5 hours or so. We got 11 inches of rain, so I am told here in Wilmington.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »
Dave, glad yall came through it alright. I am retired Navy and have spent a lot of time in storms and this is one monster in size (not strength) and gonna drop and push a lot of water. For those of yall in VA, MD, and up the coast hunker down and take care. Ian I would imagine your gonna get a pretty good pounding in WV.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »
Dave: Glad you and your wife got through it well.  I hope you find something good the next few days.   BTW.. did the hurricane do any damage to Fort Fisher that you could see?
Best,
Carl

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
Trust everyone made it thru the Hurricane ok
JackWells
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
Dave called this morning and was headed back to the beach!

He said the site was down, but I haven't had issues this morning.  I slept late though but by 10am Central it was working fine.  Anyone else experience problems?

I exchanged texts with a forum member in Virginia Beach yesterday and no problems there.  Right now the storm is flooding the part of Connecticut where I grew up (Northwest corner), but I'm in Chicago now so have no reports and trust things will be ok there.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
Mike, site is working fine from here.

R. J.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
   Carl,  I did go back down to the beach today at low tide. It was a beautiful sunny day here, typical high pressure following a hurricane. I eyeballed a couple frags, and that was it.
    But, I talked to a friend that was walking the beach just north of the fort yesterday afternoon, and he ran into a lady that was carrying a musket barrel  !!  How come people looking for shells to make ashtrays out of find all the relics when we can't find squat !!  Actually, I'm just glad and thankful  to find anything, this place has been hunted so hard and for so long. I can name quite a few forum members that spent alot of time down here.....   and barely left a thing behind !!   
   To answer your question about the condition of the fort, it looks fine, no erosion to it at all. There is a rock jetty built out front to protect it, and it is doing it's job well

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
Dave:   Good to hear about the fort.  As many know, some of the fort is no longer with us.  Not to the extent of Fort Wagner and Fort Greg on Morris Island in Charleston (see: http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/batterywagner/maps/batterywagnermap.html), but the hurricanes over the years have really taken a toll on the beach lines and, hence the fort.  Glad to hear the jetty is doing it's job.  I'm sure you'll find something great soon.  Good luck!
Best,
Carl