Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Armstrong shell dug in Gettysburg  (Read 1848 times)

Major Mike

• Email
Armstrong shell dug in Gettysburg
« on: August 22, 2022, 10:17:35 PM »
Gentlemen,
     I recently procured an "unknown shell" at auction.  The shell had been dug by long time relic hunter Ken Brame in the days before NPS put and end to digging on national Battlefields.  Brame had painted  (rather sloppily) "Barlows Knoll" on the shell.  After more than a fair amount of research, I identified the shell as an Armstrong minus it's lead encased sabot.  Here's where it gets interesting;
the base mic's out at 3.3" and tapers as it moves forward.  After that discovery, I realized that this munition could not have been used in a muzzle loading Parrot or Ordinance Rifle (even had they been bored to 3.3")  Apparently the only system capable of firing this round was the British made Armstrong (a considered superior to its contemporary Whitworth counterpart.) There exists no (remaining) record of an Armstrong at Gettysburg.  based on the location of this find, the most likely Confederate Artillery Bn would have been Jone's of Ewell's II Corps. However, of the four batteries in Jones' Bn, there was the normal mix of two 10" Parrots, six 3" Rifles and eight 12' Napoleons.  This shell, if I have identified correctly and found where reported to have been dug, would rewrite a small piece of history.  I open it up to this informed body for discussion.   Mike

(I will have to post photos separately dues to size restrictions)

Major Mike

• Email
Re: Armstrong shell dug in Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:19:36 PM »
Side View 7" shell with radiused nose.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:40:39 PM by Major Mike »

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 10:26:04 PM »
Body Taper 3.123" to 3.3" at base. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:39:48 PM by Major Mike »

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:28:11 PM »
Fuse plug detail
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:38:44 PM by Major Mike »

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 10:34:13 PM »
As bought

gflower

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »
Are you sure this is an Armstrong?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 11:30:32 AM »
I remember that shell in the group of shells we disarmed for the auction.  I wasn't sure what it was when I looked at it.  Obviously that is a CS copper fuse adapter in it.  It is very odd.
Best,
Carl

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 02:49:40 PM »
Carl, yes it is odd.  If KB really dug it where he says, it rewrites the Confederate Order of Battle for Artillery at Gettysburg.  Didn't realize you all had to do the disarming pre-auction, my Kepi is off to you Sir!  I was bidder #31 and that shell was item #497.  There seem to be no photos of an Armstrong fieldpiece, but it possible it was confused for a Whitworth (known to have been at Gettysburg.)  From its position of recovery, it is very possible it was fired from Jones's Artillery BN.  V/r Mike

gflower; Once I researched an obtained a description of this Armstrong pattern shell, I am completely confident in the identification.  It is a very distinctive shell with a tapered body "3.12 to 3.3" and a radiused head.  What is missing is the lead sabot that surrounded the body of the shell.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 06:27:23 PM »
I was there too and couldn't figure this shell out so didn't bid on it.  There is nothing for attaching a sabot.  I don't know what it is but am very skeptical when one of a kind items show up after all these years. 

Major Mike

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
emike
I think most folks there did wave off on it because it was unknown.  Precisely why I took a chance on it.  International Military Antiques has one for sale.  Its the same shell, and the sabot was wrapped around the shell thus forming a compression shell when loaded in the breach.  Take a look at the below link and see you you don't agree it is in fact the same pattern shell.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-1858-armstrong-breech-loading-smooth-cannon-shell