Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Need some help with a shell  (Read 9026 times)

railroadman

• Email
Need some help with a shell
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
Hello, I am needing some help identifying a shell. I picked this shell or I'm assuming its a shell from an antique store while I was working in Maryland. I remember seeing a shell very similar to it one time from a dealer on civilwardealers.com and that is why I bought it but even the dealer that had his posted wasnt sure what type of shell it was so any help would be greatly appreciated. the shell is solid iron, 3 1/2'' across and weights exactly 5 lbs. Here are some pics.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Need some help with a shell
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »
I am sorry to inform you that that is not a shell, much less a Civil War era bolt seeing as it is solid and non explosive and "shells" have a cavity for powder in order to explode.

We discussed this type of item on this thread:

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=289.msg1699#msg1699

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
Mike,
I can't get the URL link to work! BTW what is the object at top center???
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
As my momma always said, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again," John.  The URL works for me.  Railroadman has posted another one of those iron so-called projectiles that looks like a boob.  You see them on eBay fairly often and I know of at least one Virginia relic dealer who had one on his site for a while.  The link is to the discussion we had previously when Jack Melton posted a picture of copper covered ones.

railroadman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Well thanks for the help.. Guess its a good thing I didnt spend much on this door stop. And that was the dealer I remember seeing it on and that was why i bought it o well though live and learn. thanks again though

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
Mike,
  A new software installed last night was causing the problem. It's fixed now and the URL works fine.
The part that looks like it should be a fuze appears to m e like the glide ball on some sort of iron leg.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
Glad you are back in business, John.  We need you as one of our top contributors.

Interesting observation on the boob projectile but not as "titillating" as my hypothesis...

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »
Mike,
 Are all those low priced shells real ones?
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
No, they are made of resin.  If you click on the listing you will see they are listed in the repro section and if you carefully read the description you will see that they are repros too.  I am sure they have fooled some folks and I have seen a couple up close and they look good until you lift them and they weigh about 5 ounces.