Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Where are all the rare shells?  (Read 1673 times)

Garret

• Email
Where are all the rare shells?
« on: February 08, 2022, 03:29:35 AM »
Haven't seen any big shell collections hit the market in the last few years.   What do you think is the cause?   I remember when Harry R. would buy a big collection and then you just had to figure out which ones to buy.   Now, there are a few shells here and there, but no big collections.    Just starting a discussion on the topic and would love to hear other thoughts...
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Where are all the rare shells?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:23:39 PM »
We would like to know too!  I recently got a lead on one with some great shells in it and before I could even make an offer a deep pockets collector got wind and bought it all to keep.  So none of it will hit the market.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 09:05:19 AM »
I believe that those days are unfortunately long gone. I've only started going back to shows recently and a couple of things jumped out at me and they are: if a good item is put out on a table during setup, it will likely never make it to the show's opening. More dealers seem to be collectors than there use to be, there seem to be more mega collections than there use to be , collectors seem to see their collections as investments and they are holding on to items hoping that the market will go back up. And yes, there are definitely more "deep pockets" out there than there use to be, but like probably most collectors, I'll just keep looking for that special one, as I know that it is out there somewhere. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:07:19 AM by redbob »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 07:22:03 AM »
That is correct that if it is good and reasonably priced it won't last to the show opening as someone who got in early or some dealer that knows a buyer for it will pick it up.  Even if it is there at show opening one of the early people at the table will pick up the good shells.  For example I had a perfect 9" water cap ball at Dalton with a nice fuse that screwed easily removed.  it sold within about 10 minutes of the door opening to a show visitor and it seemed I could have sold it another 5 times.  Due to the weight and so people could see it I left it on the table until the owner left and took it with him.  Another dealer had picked up a new grouping of nice shells and about 1/2 of them sold quickly which is what you'd expect from with good stuff.  I'm not sure I'd agree that those days are gone.  It is just that there are good number of people out there collecting artillery now.  I think there are more people now than in the past because relatively it is cheaper than buckles, swords, guns, etc.   There are collections our there and people are still digging shells.  They just seem to come in spurts. 

Best,
Carl