Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War Fuse Part ?  (Read 1914 times)

XRdsRev

• History_Hoarder63 on Instagram
Civil War Fuse Part ?
« on: December 11, 2021, 08:20:54 AM »
Has anybody ever seen anything like this before ?  This piece was dug along the River east of Richmond.  It looks like it should be part of a fuse but I do not recall ever seeing anything like it.  Obviously it was screwed into something larger and the threads are about the same as a Schenkl cap.  It has a slotted slightly convex nose but what could be a slider channel runs through the entire piece (it however does get smaller about 3/4 of the way through, it does not taper there is a distinct change in diameter).

I have looked at various CW and WW1 fuses to see if I could find this piece but to no avail.

Any opinions ?
#History_Hoarder63 on Instagram

mramer

Re: Civil War Fuse Part ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
Looks like archer to me
Can't make out mics on my phone
Jones book page 58

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »
While at a glance it certainly looks like a fuse I don't think it is.  the open bottom and non-removable top with a hole in it seems to indicate it couldn't be a percussion fuse and the top hole is too small to accept a paper time fuse.

Are there any threads inside the bottom?  Maybe a picture of the bottom at a a 30? angle would offer some info.
Best,
Carl

XRdsRev

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 09:38:35 PM »
Here are some more pics

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »
I am no expert, Carl, Mike, or Jack are the ones who would know but I havn't seen anything like this specimen.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
I think it has to be a version of Archer's patented percussion fuse. Two similar examples are pictured below. The first is in a rifled 12 pounder Mullane dug at Vicksburg, I think. The second is in a smaller 3 inch Read dug at Gettysburg. Maybe the head of your fuse was crushed flat when it hit something perpendicular or maybe it was among the experimental ordnance fired into the banks of the James River east of Richmond. The basic form was cast prior to turning it down which explains why it is so thick at the bottom. If threads are absent, the South sometimes put lead plugs in the bottom of their fuses. Later, the Rebs figured a way to make thinner Archer fuses out of sheet brass. I believe the bottom of this one was threaded for a plug which blew out when the projectile exploded. The CS Army's ordnance authorities rejected the Archer fuse because it worked poorly unless it hit perpendicularly. In the field, very few impacted head-on. The slider tended to get stuck in the fuse body and malfunction. They rejected Girardey's excellent percussion fuse for the same reason. The CS Army slowly developed the deeply flawed Broun concussion fuse instead based on the popular Britten concussion fuse. By contrast, the CS Navy loved Archer's invention and ordered many for their large and small caliber shells until the end of the war.

So, here is my theory. If your fuse did not come from a testing range, then it was probably fired by a small CS gunboat ( they had many) from a 3 inch Rifle or 10 pdr. Parrott during one of the many actions that occurred on that section of the James River. Likely from a CS Navy projectile.

Best, Woodenhead

XRdsRev

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »
I greatly appreciate everyone?s input on this item.  It still remains a mystery but at least nobody could prove it was a Porta John plug or something equally as disappointing.   Thanks again !!!

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »
Way back in 1980,  I was making a movie about Dr. Mudd at Fort Pulaski (a Hollywood movie starring Dennis Weaver). During one of our (with Steve Sylvia) frequent "smoke breaks" on a stretch of sand exposed by low tide, I picked up an interesting looking brass or copper tube. It had a big hex-head nut and a smooth tapered body. We both agreed that it must be off some late 19th century toilet and pitched it out into the sound. After all, we were the experts, right! Later, I saw the same item on a CS barrel torpedo. We are all learning.
W.H.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 05:15:48 PM »
Agree it very much does look to be a variant to the Archer percussion fuse.  The domed top really gives it that look and is something you don't see on plumbing fittings and other such brass items.

What is kind of odd is that it is threaded all the way to the top.  I don't recall any Archer fuse threaded in that fashion.  You would typically like some sort of stop when screwing it in so that it would seal well against the ignition.  There are some types of fuses (Dyer, Parrott, Hotchkiss) that are threaded full length but most fuses have at least a small cap on the top.

What is really odd is the small center hole.  The hole appears to be too small to be a percussion fuse converted to a time fuse and periodically seen in the Mobile Bay area.  Also they are lead filled before drilling the tapered fuse hole and the hole in yours looks to be about 1/4" which is smaller than a paper fuse.

More pondering is needed!
Best,
Carl