Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Polygonal Land Mine  (Read 1975 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Polygonal Land Mine
« on: October 31, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
This weekend I was passing through Mobile, AL and stopped to see a friend.  He had quite a number of interesting shells but this one thing I found really interesting.  It is a 24-lber Landmine that was made with a polygonal cavity.  There is no real way to know if they converted a 24-lber polygonal wood adapter shell (most likely) or made it as a landmine from scratch.  The first image is of the frag showing the fuse hole and the side loader plug hole.  The second one shows the frag with a fuse sitting in the fuse hole.   he didn't have a plug to put in that threaded hole.  Very neat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 04:36:44 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Woodenhead

• Email
Re: Polygonal Land Mine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
Back from the dead! I don't think this frag was from a converted 24 pdr. Augusta made thousands of "Subterra shells" or land mines using "sensitive fuses" (crush caps) made at Macon. Below is documented proof I found recently at the fold3 research site. The first doc describes Augusta sending at least 1298 Subterra shells to Macon where they were fused and buried in front of the lower earthworks defending the city. Anybody found any? How about the "tin covers"? The second doc below mentions sending 800 of these land mines to Virginia during late 1864. Have any ever been found in Virginia? Macon and Augusta pioneered the use of the polygonal cavity during 1863. By January 1864, Tredegar was making them. I believe your iron shrapnel was made at Augusta and the sensitive fuse manufactured by Macon. Truly a great addition to your collection!

Woodenhead

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks Woodenhead!  Very informative.  Did you see anything that indicated Selma or one of its subcontractors was making any polygonals?  It would seem they did given the amount of polygonal frags found in the Mobile area, especially the 24-lber version.  I don't recall any subterra mines being found in Macon but also don't know any hunters that have hunted that area much.  Perhaps they are still there to be found!  Hopefully the Virginia listeners can speak up if they know of any found there.
Best,
Carl

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »
Most of the round balls from Selma are polygonal. Also the elongated shells that are segmented are made at Selma. I have two land mines and one is a 24 pounder that is segmented.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Thanks Steve!  Doubly cool!
Best,
Carl