Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 6pdr. Whitworth bolt  (Read 1587 times)

Woodenhead

• Email
6pdr. Whitworth bolt
« on: December 03, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »
My water-digging friend, who recently found the sleeved CS Parrott I discussed from Racoon Ford, VA, has found another great piece of Rebel history. This is a small 6 pdr. Whitworth bolt from deep in the mud of the upper Rappahanock River. The spot has long been hunted out but my buddy was going for the faint, deep readings and this beauty surfaced. The area was where the Second Manassas Campaign began with Jackson on the south bank and Pope on the north shelling each other heavily. This was the only Virginia campaign that saw the use of this imported gun. Previously, I thought that the Rebs fired only 6 pdr. shells. I have seen examples that were dug from the Cedar Mountain battlefield to Bull Run. But never any bolts until now. Pete or Col. John - have you guys any knowledge of VA bolts? Anyone else?

It was almost certainly made in North Carolina by the Fayetteville Arsenal. Fayetteville was the only southern foundry operating with one of John Whitworth's patented finishing machines. The only other 6 pdr. bolts I know of have been found at nearby Wilmington.

Its still out there!
Woodenhead

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: 6pdr. Whitworth bolt
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »
OMG Me wants. LOL.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.