Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Terry Waxham  (Read 3822 times)

R. J. in LA

Terry Waxham
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:36:22 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that I let everyone know that former forum contributor, Terry Waxham, passed away early this morning. Terry was a true southern gentleman, a good man, and a prolific relic hunter and collector especially of Trans-Mississippi artifacts. He will be greatly missed. May he rest in peace.

Lazouave

• Email
Re: Terry Waxham
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »
Terry befriended me some 35+ years ago. He was my mentor and friend. His kindness and generosity will
be greatly missed. Love and prayers to his wife Carolyn and family.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »
Amen, John, well stated!

rommack

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:25:59 AM »
So sorry to hear! RIP Terry

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:01:51 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this. I never met him in person but through this forum. He sent me some really nice artifacts when he was downsizing a little and never would take any money. And I was still pretty much a stranger. A super generous man who will be missed. I accidently came across this and it breaks my heart. What he sent me wasn't just cheap junk they have significant historical value but the sentimental value is a lot greater. God bless and his family in their time of need and sorrow.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
I enjoyed my visits with him.  He was very generous with his time and took me all around the area.  I learned a lot from him and will miss him.  What a nice man.

Dr. Beach

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
I have many bullets that he graciously sent to me when I was involved in my Trans-Mississippi studies (at the same time that I was working on my Gunboat Diana book).  We corresponded, but I never got to meet him in person.  A good man, from all that I have known and heard of him.  Goodbye, Terry.

Horace 

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 10:44:13 PM »
I had some correspondence with Terry after he recovered a few years back. He wrote about growing up on a battlefield and relic hunting with his family. He was very generous, sending me bullets and relics. Rest in peace, Terry.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 06:04:34 PM »
 :'( Yes he was very generous. Heaven is a little better and We lost a true southern gentleman. His contribution to the community cannot be over exaggerated.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
real sorry to hear this. Had many phone conversations with him a very long time ago. He was so helpful and a good man

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »
Like so many others have mentioned, I too met Terry through the forum. Also as others have mentioned, we never met but he sent me numerous items and never would take any thing for them. Finally one day he said he wished he had a Chicago Police patch for his patch collection. I immediately reached out to friends on CPD and got several different types for him. Once he received them he was so thankful you would have thought I gave him something rare or priceless. Compared to what I had received from him, they were nothing. Such a humble and generous man.  Our loss is heaven's gain.  RIP Terry, you are missed.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

ETEX

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:28 AM »
I have been out of touch for quite a while and it is disheartening to hear of Terry's passing. I visited with him a couple of times at his place and he gave me quite a tour of the area. One of the greats of the relic world and will truly be missed.

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
I have been going through Terry's collection, literally, one bullet at a time. He was meticulous for the first 3000 bullets or dug items
at putting them in stapled plastic containers. Even melted lead, buckshot anything! Some with very detailed locations.

But I had to shar the attached. I got a good laugh out of it. Shows true dedication to digging history and preserving it!

JR

R. J. in LA

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 07:05:17 PM »
Haha, that's great, definitely true dedication and detailed description from Terry!! Thanks for sharing John!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
Everyone should be so good at recording the provenance.  Some people record nothing.  Some people record a general provenance like "Kennesaw Mtn, GA".  And the very few, like Terry, record detail including the experience of finding it.  It makes a common little relic quite cool.
Best,
Carl