Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Neat Pickup  (Read 1832 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Neat Pickup
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:01:41 AM »
An old friend in the relic club approached me a few meetings ago about my interest in acquiring a shell he found a long time ago.  It is an Atlanta style smooth Read (Page 249 in 1993 D&G) that appears fired.  This is the type with the brittle copper ring that normally shatters when fired.  You can't see it in the picture as I forgot to position the shell so it would show but there is a sprue on the copper sabot.  There is very faint but discernible rifling on the sabot.  The neatest part of the shell is the Girardy percussion fuse still very intact in the bright green CS copper adapter.  It is in great shape.

This shell was found a few hundred feet in front of the Confederate lines and a long way from the union lines. I believe the powder in the cannon didn't burn well and softly lobbed the shell out falling well short.  It would also explain why the sabot didn't break like so many did.

I was really happy to get this for my collection.
Best,
Carl

R. J. in LA

Re: Neat Pickup
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
Very nice!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »
like it

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
That is a nice one with that kind of sabot and fuse.  Congrats.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:34:16 PM »
Where was it recovered. I really don't think you like it. I think you want me to take that awful thing off your hands. LOL Nice addition Mr. Carl, Congrats.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.