Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Another Strange Bullet from Chantilly....Tower ???  (Read 2038 times)

XRdsRev

• History_Hoarder63 on Instagram
Another Strange Bullet from Chantilly....Tower ???
« on: December 09, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
Pictured is another strange bullet from Chantilly battlefield that I have not ever seen a duplicate of.  It is the bullet in the center of the pic, flanked by a Prussian and Belgian which have some similarities but are clearly far different.

This bullet was dug in the 1970’s about 100 yards north of the Kearny monument.

It is a monster and mics in at an average of .69 so I am assuming this is for a .70 caliber weapon (Tower perhaps).  The skirt is very thick and tapers down to a plug with a dot or small teat.  A quick glance shows a similar profile to a Prussian but it does have differences and the cavity is nothing like any Prussian I have ever seen.

I hope you enjoyed seeing this bullet and Any help on identification would be greatly appreciated.
#History_Hoarder63 on Instagram

LeonVa

• Email
Re: Another Strange Bullet from Chantilly....Tower ???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
Another great bullet!!!!!  Your bullet is listed in Civil War Projectiles II by McKee and Mason as bullet number 208, they list the bullet as tower for rifled musket.  This bullet comes in at least two variants, a pointed version like yours and one with a flatter tip and a slight ring near the top.  The later is shown in both A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges as bullet TT202 and Round Ball to Rimfire 4 Bullet number 595.  I believe this bullet is now believed to have been used for the P-51 rifle musket or "Belgian rifle"

I have heard some say that they believe this bullet is attributed to SC troops but I have nothing to confirm this claim.

Attached is a picture of the one shown in both the Handbook and RBRF4

XRdsRev

• History_Hoarder63 on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »
Leon,

Thanks for the info and boy do I feel dumb.  I must have looked at that page in McKee & Mason a hundred times and never connected my bullet with the one in their book.

Thanks again !!!
#History_Hoarder63 on Instagram

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
No problem, glad I could help!  Keep them coming if they are all of that quality!!!!!