Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Half Shell Book  (Read 5859 times)

svedra

Half Shell Book
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:15:50 AM »
I have really enjoyed the new half shell book by Jack Melton and highly recommend it.  Photos are fantastic and it is well researched, including all of the patent info.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Half Shell Book
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »
(Steve: I moved the topic here as I no doubt believe this will be recommended reading.)

Jack has quite a few years invested in making this book.  I've heard from a number of people who have it that it is wonderful and I'm not surprised but glad it is living up to expectations.  I'm looking forward to getting it and am sure I'll refer to it often.  I've been using my Bartleson X-ray book for decades but it just become mostly obsolete.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:35:06 AM »
next on my list
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:32:51 AM »
Just got my copy from Jack and it's simply outstanding.   The photography, which is Jack's forte, is off the charts. The detail of each shell, the clarity of the close-ups of the halves and the fuses, is brilliant.   This book will be the gold standard for Civil War artillery for years to come.   I was delighted to see a shell that Jack sold me, the 7" James on page 265 recovered at the Battle of Secessionville, is in the book.     
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:04:15 PM »
I agree, Garret.  I have only gotten through the spherical projectiles so far, but it is impressive for the reasons you note.  I think anyone who can afford it and has an interest in this topic should get it.  Jack and Peggy will be at the Richmond Show next weekend selling them.

I also recognize a few of my own projectiles and fuses in there, the result of a couple of pleasant visits from Jack and Peggy.  He had a huge trove of photographs of my fuses that got lost (the photos, not the fuses), and we need to rebuild that photographic record. 

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:38:26 AM »
In fact, Mike, I don't know if you remember, Jack sold me the shell while he was at your place!
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
I got The Half Shell Book as it is simply and appropriately named and all I can say is wow.  This book built big time on all the reference books before it and took it to another level.  It is a must have.  If you like artillery, get this book.  You won't be sorry.  And no, I have no vested interest in saying this.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 02:53:58 AM »
My wish is that Jack will be able to do a Volume 2, a comprehensive artillery book along the lines of Dickey and George with the outstanding color photography and updated information about every shell, field to heavy.