Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Marietta Show  (Read 6550 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Marietta Show
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
One of my very favorite shows (convenience notwithstanding) is coming up this weekend (8/13 thur 8/14/2016) in Marietta, GA.  It always seems to be a very good show for both buying and selling.  It also is more focused than most if not all others on the ACW.  I know quite a few of the forumites will be there.  Hope everyone who can will come by and say hello.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Marietta Show
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
Great show today.  There was a steady crowd all day.  Got to talk to a good number of forumites.  Buying and selling were both good today. Although missing the sabot, I bought a neat 20-lber Tredegar shell and am looking forward to cleaning it up.  RelicRunner, TraderSean and Dave The Plumber all had some really nice and rare items.  Always fun to pick up Mike's leftovers!  I'm looking forward to some goo deals on Sunday.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:03:04 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
Carl, don't forget to post a few pics, especially the cool artillery shells so we can all drool over them!
Garret
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:50:27 PM »
I was just thinking a few minutes ago while doing some paperwork that I forgot to take any pictures.  I'll see if the North Georgia Relic Hunters (who put on the show) got any pictures.

Sunday was a great day for what is normally very slow.  After a very empty and slow morning, the afternoon crowd seemed quite good.  After the last few shows it sure feels like the economy is getting better and people are buying fun stuff like artillery.   ;D  Other dealers even bought a good bit as they found artillery moving as well. 

Best,
Carl
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
It was a good show as usual -- better for the sales and friends caught up with than what was available, at least for me, to buy.  I didn't take any pictures either, but in a few days I will post up an unusual shell I got in the parking lot.   

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
Emike, I have noticed that you seem to pick up a lot in the parking lot. Are you trolling the parking lot at the shows? ;)
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »
That's where the good deals are found.  No dealer really wants to lug that big heavy back to wherever they're going!   ;D
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »
in this case the shell never made it inside because I had discussed getting it from the seller a year or two prior and, knowing how uncommon it was, he didn't want to bring it in to bum out the folks who couldn't get it.  That did not stop one parking lot surfer from trying to buy it out from under me, but a few extra bucks saved me from getting snaked.

This is an 8" CS incendiary shell with an 1859 watercap fuse in a very large bushing.  These were fired into Union troops massing in the woods of Folly Island, SC to assault Fort Wagner.  The plan was to burn down the trees.  A couple other forum members have examples of these fuses and bushings from there, but they are not in the shells any longer.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 04:33:37 PM »
One of the more memorable moments that I have had in my collecting career came in the parking lot of the Marietta Show a couple of years ago when the seller and purchaser attempted to transfer a 15" ball from one vehicle to another during a torrential downpour-ah, the good old days.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:37:36 PM by redbob »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »
Some background on my new shell from Chuck Jones' book:

alwion

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
I'm not sure how these worked. Did the ball crack open, or just roll around spewing out a napalm type fluid? This is a picture of an incendiary fuse shell i looked at at mansfield, how did this differ from the one Mike just got?