Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Marietta Show - 8/13 thru 8/14/2011  (Read 8592 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Marietta Show - 8/13 thru 8/14/2011
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the Marietta (Georgia) Civil War Show and Sale is coming up soon.  Set up is Friday, 8/12, and the show is a two day show over the weekend.  Mike and I have a table and hope that all forum members who are able to attend will drop by and say 'Hello'.  It's always good to meet everyone.  It's a great show and I always seem to find something nice to add to my collection.

Also, the show is a good time to drop off any artillery you might want disarmed.  I won't accept loaded artillery in the mail but I will mail it back to you if you want.  Contact me via email if you have any questions or want to arrange some drillin'.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Marietta Show - 8/13 thru 8/14/2011
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »
For all those that are going, have a good time. I aint been to a show in years, kinda miss it. Maybe next year.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
Carl, you have a table set up to manage. Mike just sticks his stuff there for you to sell and take care of as he beats the bushes for all the good deals. Suggestion: chain him to the table leg.  ???  Yall have a great time.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
ETEX you do have a point!  I'll have to give that a try.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 12:22:26 AM »
  Carl, please make sure somebody takes pictures of that (and posts them).

To be successful, I think you're going to need a 15" Solid-Shot on a chain for the leg-irons to hold Mike.  But on second thought, he'd just roll it along the floor in front of him.  So a ball-&-chain won't do.  Try a Confederate Frame-Torpedo.

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
We saw, and moved, one of those Confederate Frame torpedoes when Dave the Plumber, CWArtillery, Jack Melton, LA Zouave and JScarr and I got to help organize and move the Dickey collection material in storage at the Atlanta History Center.  There is a picture of us that will hopefully get posted.

That was a great time and thanks to Jack for arranging it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »
We got the pictures today of our visit the the AHC (Atlanta History Center).  It's an incredible museum for anyone who hasn't been there.  With the Tom Dickey and Beverly DuBose collection it has a massive amount of ACW items and much of it is very nicely displayed.

Jack Melton (Thanks Jack!) arranged for a group to go down and assist with the relics in the low humidity storage room that mostly held artillery rounds.  All I can say is what's in there is incredible.  There was a 15-inch canister round that held about 135 3 pound iron balls that was mind boggling.   In the group shot you see us at the edge of the primary artillery display up in the public area.  There is lots more to see that's not in the picture. 
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
Another image:
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
And finally the last image:
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
Carl, is that the 15" pictured in Jack Bell's book or another one? 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »
As a matter of fact, yes it is.  It is very much more imposing in person.  In fact, it was so big that it was a bit before any of us realized it was a canister projectile. (I'm sure Jack knew since he is a consultant for them and I'd suspect had inspected it before.)

Of interest is that we were attending the Civil War Show in Marietta.  So we see this moster canister right before the show and then at the show Dave-The-Plumber shows me a really cool 15-inch rammer that he picked up.  It was amazing to see those 15-inch items in an area where you mostly see field caliber stuff.

I might also say I had a great time hanging with the forum members who were able to make it.  I look forward to meeting more in the future.
Best,
Carl