Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Fredericksburg Show  (Read 4291 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Fredericksburg Show
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
     The show seemed to have less dealers than last year.  Dave has his table, so it was well combed before I got there.
I did pick up a nice dug CSN S. Isaacs Campbell 23mm button and a later war use CS Bormann (Spotsylvania).  Had lunch with Jack Bell, and headed down to see Pete George.  Pete and I spent Sat. at Tredegar, very crowded. Most of the projectiles on display were misidentified.  The guy watching the stuff was a volunteer and  very open to correction so Pete explained to him what was incorrect.  Once it gets to the NPS staff the openness will probably disappear.  Took me a year to get something corrected at Gettysburg.
     Stopped at Sailor's Creek on the way to Appomattox.  Nice and pristine.  Looks pretty much as it did when Tucker's Naval Brigade made it's charge.
     Toured Appomattox before heading home on Sun.  Sad, sad place.
Attached is a pic of a Yankee "snake in the grass" guarding a Parrott 4.2 near the artillery surrender area.
Dan Klemens

Roy A

• Email
Re: Fredericksburg Show
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
I feel that this show has gotten smaller, especially over the past 2 years. Not really sure as to the reasons why but I have noticed that less and less younger people are there.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
The reason is the location and I-95.  Fredericksburg is too congested, you cannot get to the show.  That is why we didn't set up this year.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
You could take 15 the whole way to Warrenton Va., then 17 to Fredericksburg.  No I95, little congestion.
Dan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
I still think it may have been largely due to the major oversight of the Chicago Show being the same weekend.  Somebody goofed!  There were lots of big name dealers here in Chicago along with their customers.  I have to think at least 10-15% of the dealers would've been at F-burg and maybe only 5% of the customers, but its a noticeable dent.

The Chicago Show used to be terrific, then went through a slump, but has now built its way back up to very good.  I have sold a ton the last 3 shows, but more importantly I have found good stuff to buy at them.  For about 5 years, there was nothing for me to buy at the Wheaton Show.  I have never had that problem at the Virginia shows.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
Uh, hardly...we took Rt. 15 back on Friday....4 1/2 hours to Gettysburg.  Worse than I-95.  No good routes to F'burg any more.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
Very true about fredericksburg being a bad location these days. I left work early and it still took me almost 2 hours to go from Manassas to the show and that was back roads.