Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What are the Rules?  (Read 4868 times)

Blondcharley

• Email
What are the Rules?
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »
There is a 6 lb ball on sale now on eBay with a great sounding pedigree - is it proper to ask your opinion as to the truthfulness of the pedigree prior to making an offer?

Thanks,

Charlie

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: What are the Rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
Hello,

It is fine with me.  My only caution is that it is possible the seller is a member of this list and there is no warranty express or implied in any responses you get here.  ;D
Best,
Carl

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:04 PM »
There is a 6 lb ball on sale now on eBay with a great sounding pedigree - is it proper to ask your opinion as to the truthfulness of the pedigree prior to making an offer?
Thanks, Charlie

I assume you're referring to the Gettysburg six pounder ball.
I don't know the seller. I requested a copy of the documentation proving when & where it was found. I'll let you know if I receive a response.

There has been an awful lot of those Latham's Battery six pounder balls sold on eBay considering there was only one six pounder in action, and for just a few hours, at Gettysburg.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
The seller of that ball Lamar is referring to is not a member of this forum, but could be a lurker for all I know.  BlondCharley, one of our points of advice has been, "Do you know the seller well enough to trust the story?"  As Dr. Alfred Lanning said in iRobot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8LAFSY3Ws
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:47:08 AM by emike123 »

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
The seller added my question & his response to the listing. He provided more information about the history of the collection, but not about this particular ball, and indicated he's obtaining the receipt/bill of sale, which he will provide.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
That should be very interesting, Lamar.  What name did the seller go by, Ray? or Nancy? or something else.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 04:35:43 PM »
Unfortunately his emails only identify him by his eBay moniker.

He responded to my last request by telling me he was working on it (documentation on the history of this ball, not the general history of the whole collection).

He seems to be selling it for someone else.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
His name is Ramon.
He was very polite and responsive to my requests.
However - bottom line is that there is no provenance, other than his claim it came out of an old Gettysburg collection.

Charlie - there's no reason not to ask for proof of the provenance, I don't know of any legitimate seller who would be offended.
And there is revwarcannonballs, who will come up with any documentation you can possibly request. He is one of the (if not THE) biggest crooks on eBay. He'll give you family letters, museum (all closed now) bills of sale, even make up stories about his own ancestors, to ID almost every item he sells. He'll "doctor up" projectiles, and he used to have a seemingly endless supply of Bristol made replica Confederate flags.