Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Copperheads  (Read 3985 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Copperheads
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
     This is for all you Liberty loving, anti Lincoln, anti war, Southern sympathizing Northerners out there.  Copperheads (Butternuts) believed the Confederacy had a constitutional right to secede and didn't want to see Americans killing Americans for some thing called a Union.  The unionists and abolitionists called them Copperheads (snakes).  The Copperheads proudly accepted the name and made pins by cutting out the head of Liberty from a one cent piece.
     This is my version.  I couldn't find my silver solder or brazing rods, so I just glued the the attachment on the back.  I'll correct that later.

My great, great, great, Copperhead Grandaddy would be proud that I am carrying on the tradition.  :)

Dan
6lbgun

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Copperheads
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
I am impressed with how well you cut something so small!  Texas must be a state full of copperheads as they still have the right to succeed on their constitution.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
Although biased it is a very interesting read.  Thanks for sharing.  For those not inclined to read it, the first FAQ shows I was incorrect in my statement that the Texas constitution has the right to succeed included.  But there is a discussion on the rights of it or any state to succeed which is interesting.
Best,
Carl

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
      Any state is sovereign in and of itself.  There is a process to become a state.  (except in the case of West Virginia which was made a state unconstitutionally).  This same process can be used to leave the union.  This legal process was used by the states that formed the Confederacy.  Chief Justice Taney wanted to rule on the act of secession but Lincoln did not want a ruling.  Most probably because Taney was a Democrat and would rule that it was constitutional.  His arrest warrant was issued and signed but not acted upon by Lincoln.  Taney, near death, did not pursue it.  Thus Lincoln continued on his unconstitutional and dictatorial ways.  (Sound familiar?)   >:(
Dan

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Years back, I was fortunate to get an actual Copperhead cut from a large one cent piece from the late Jack Magune, House of Billy Yank, Worcester, Mass.  Jack was a grea
t guy & the token is among my favorite pieces.