Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: how cold is it ????  (Read 8633 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
how cold is it ????
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
       since the country is in some kind of freezing weather trough, I was wondering who out there has the lowest temperature ?  I believe it is basically nasty everywhere, except, of course, California !!
     I'm in Wilmington, NC right on the coast and we are at an almost unheard of 14 degrees. We have a snow and ice mixture on the ground, which only happens about once a decade....... so everything is shutdown, as there isn't a salt spreader within 100 miles from here !!          What is your weather ??

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Re: how cold is it ????
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »
Was 12 here yesterday... 6 now, but supposed to get to a balmy 20 later on.  Expecting to get back to 40s by weekend.  It's Winter, what do you expect?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
Was -13 yesterday, not including the windchill.  Warmed up to +2 today.  Feels like Spring.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Yesterday AM it was -18 and got up to 12. This morning we started at -10 with the wind chill at about -25.
I'm getting too old for this.
 Back in 1977-78 it got down to almost -20 without the wind chill and I worked for Consol Coal. Weather wasn't an excuse to miss work back then and I got my fingers frostbitten helping to build fires under truck engines (V12 Cummins) to try to start them. When we did get the trucks started, the fuel gelled and they stopped running. The kind of stories to tell the grandkids, but I couldn't do it now.

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

Yesterday I got a Facebook message from my son who is in Atlanta on business. He was making fun of the Georgians for panicking when they got about 1 inch of snow. I have always been told that it's a real treat to watch those in the "Deep South" trying to cope with snow or ice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:44:30 AM by tom buckley »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
Was 11 degrees here in Marietta this morning.  I had one of those rare opportunities to shovel snow last night.  Glad I only have to do it every 4 or 5 years.  I have a snow shovel that I got up north at a yard sale that I typically use for a big "dust pan" in the yard.  Very sunny today so hopefully will melt off a lot of the slick stuff on the roads.
Best,
Carl

coonboy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Currently 20 degrees and got down to 18 on the Hill. We had two snows in four days. This is very rare in Central La. but common in Pa and
Va. This photo is second snow showing our pond and  Confederate campsite on hill in background
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:50:22 AM by coonboy »
Terry

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
 Here in south central Alabama about 6 miles from the Florida line it got down to about 16 last night. We missed all the snow, it went north of us but we received a nice helping of ice to go along with breakfast this morning.
 Not much if you consider that I use to live in Washington State. Everything here is closed down and will be until at least tomorrow.
 It is officially Playtime.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

R. J. in LA

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
Currently 30 degrees, was 23 degrees for low this morning. Icy glaze on the roads but no snow just some sleet yesterday. That's cold for us here in south Louisiana! I know, I know, you guys in the north are laughing at us for us thinking that's cold! Now for the good news for us, it's supposed to be 70 degrees with 50% chance of rain here on Super Bowl Sunday, go figure! Everybody stay warm! 

ETEX

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
We were at 15 when I got off of work this morning in East Texas.

Terry, the pond looks good and full, a little more water in it than the last time I saw it.

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
I'm trying to decide if I want to get the lawn mower out and work in the yard bagging the leaves.  South Central Texas is great in the winter. 

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »
The wind chill finally made to 0!!

Dr. Beach

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
Northern California report:

Seems like Spring is already here--many of the blooming trees think so.

Horace

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
18 right now here in Philly. Was 22 this afternoon with plenty of sunshine so it felt great. Personally, I hate cold weather. I don't know how people live in extremely cold places. I guess it's what you're used to.

P.S. Terry, I sent you a private message. Good to see you posting here.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »
  Terry, I'm happy to see you posting again. You've been in my prayers. Meant to say that sooner than now, but I got distracted by having to deal with the second snow-blizzard in ten days.

Best,
Pete