Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: But wait, there's more...  (Read 7819 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
But wait, there's more...
« on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
The learned discussion on another thread got me to thinking whilst stranded in the Kansas City airport for several hours last night.

On the right is our old friend, the fired 3.3in bolt with a lead cup sabot.  In D&G on page 140 this is described as having a lead band sabot based on some recoveries at Perryville.  Appears we have two variations on a theme...

Indeed the shell on the left is the exact one on page 141, called a 3.4" "Burton" but we have learned better about the name.  The size stands up though and it has a wood fuse adapter.  It is associated with the 4pdr smoothbores the State of Virginia had rifled for use early in the war.  It is a shell and it has a lead band sabot.  As those guns were rifled in VA, presumably this shell was made there as well. 

Could this be evidence of manufacture of very similar projectiles, but one in the North and the other in the South?  Or is it something much more diabolical...

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
Re: But wait, there's more...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
     This is just a notion here something that stuck in the brain while reading the other thread. With the number of different manufacturers in the south (Some that made shells for the north before the war) it would be possible that for the 3.3 inch to have been made down here (you note that I did not say it was made down south).
     This to me is like the 4.62 inch shell that is called a Brooke, yet in all my research and study I can not find a single reference to where John Brooke designed, developed, or requested a 4.62 inch shell or gun made. I believe that it is possible that the shell was made to fit a 3.3 inch gun that was either bought or acquired during the war. It could have been made off of a existing pattern that was available. Just as the 4.62 inch shell was made and since the Brooke method of attaching a sabot worked it was copied. Hence the 4.62 inch shell was know as a Brooke because it used that form of sabot.
     This 3.3 inch "Dyer" may be a Dyer only in design and not make.
   Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:59:08 AM by Selma Brooke Gunner »
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

joevann

• Email
Re: But wait, there's more...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
The vast majority of rifled projectiles are indeed classified by the style of sabot and not the manufacturer.  There was nothing to prevent a manufacturer from using whatever sabot his customer preferred, and the South certainly wasn't going to worry about infringing on a Union or English patent.