Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: confederate cap box  (Read 4627 times)

railroadman

• Email
confederate cap box
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Hello All    A few years ago when remodeling a room in my house I found a confederate cap box in the wall. My question is I have a large glass display case hanging on a wall with several of my other smaller relics displayed in. I'm curious if I could display the cap box in it as well or would that damage the leather any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: confederate cap box
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
I think it would be just fine. not knowing whet the other items are and their material composition I would make sure they didn't touch. Keep lead artifacts off of wood.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

railroadman

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »
I wasn't sure. I was going to treat it with pecard because I was told that is what the Smithsonian uses, After doing some research and reading some forums about preserving antique leather apparently they quit using it and now no longer treat leather with anything. If anyone else has any opinions on this I would love to hear. This cap pouch is in very good shape and I would love to keep it that way as long as possible.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
While I was at the show in Mansfield this year I spoke with Paul Johnson, author of "Civil War Cartridge Boxes of the Union Infantryman" about what to use on a couple percussion cap pouches I had purchased, He recommended "Leather Preservation Wax" by C&D Jarnagin Co. of Corinth, MS. The labeling advises it is designed for use on vegetable tanned leathers.

More information on early leather can be found at http://www.jarnaginco.com/leather%20preservation%20original.htm
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

railroadman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
Great information thank you!