Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Incredible field artillery  (Read 4724 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Incredible field artillery
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Here is an eBay auction of a photo of what seems to me to be an incredibly large piece of field artillery. This cannon is mounted on a mobile revolving platform and looks to be drawn on wagon wheels when in transport. Has anyone seen anything like this?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-Photo-Photograph-Heavy-Artillery-/170516285031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b3900667

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Incredible field artillery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »
Scott,
    I am not a tube man but will guess that the gun is a Dalhgren gun; not a field piece; looking at the carriage and wheels it must be a garrison mount at some fort.  When you look at the ebay copy there is another gun at right and a stone wall behind both guns.
Regards,
John

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Fort Slemmer.....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »
I believe this is a pic of Fort Slemmer..........   Dave needs to buy this!

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »

Jim T,

It is Fort Slemmer. Have seen modern prints of this entitled, Soldiers exiting Fort Slemmer. Too pricey for me but would look cool with my Adam Slemmer cdv's.

Later,
Dave
Later,
Dave Slemmer

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
Thanks, guys. I see what you mean - that dang thing looked at first glance like it was sitting in a field.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:59 AM »
The tube would appear to be something on the order of an 8" Columbiad or possibly a 42 lb'er - the chase band visible about 20 inches to the rear of the muzzle swell is puzzle.  It appears further back on the tube than most.  Sorry Cuz'in John, but it isn't a Dahlgren.

Will continue to look and post when I find something better.