Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Powder bags for smoothbore cannons  (Read 8036 times)

uscs digger

Powder bags for smoothbore cannons
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can find out the measurements for the powder bags that were used in the 6lb and 12lb smoothbore cannons.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Powder bags for smoothbore cannons
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
Hello Digger,
   This is a Mordecai plate of ACW smooth bore fixed ammunition.  Unfortunately no one I know has a clear copy of all his plates where dimentions can be read.  I have low vision but perhaps you can read them.
All the Best,
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
  For the 12-Pounder cannon powderbags, click the following link and scroll down to the section titled "Summary of the Ammunition for Field and Mountain Service", and look on the left side of the chart.
www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm
That chart gives info such as the height of the charge, length of the powderbag, etc.
Unfortunately, the chart contains no such info for 6-Pounder cannon powderbags.

Regards,
Pete

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
Digger,
     Remember that the measurements in the chart are for the pieces of the bag cut from a pattern.  Subtract 1"
from the diameter of the bottom for the seam allowance, the same for the rectangle of the bag.  The width of the finished bag would be 4.5" on the cylinder and 4.25" on rounded bottom according to this chart.  These figures are taken from Mordecai's Ordnance manual. (1861 page 280).  Concerning the 6lb gun's bag, the measurement given for the width of the triangle in the manual seems to be in error as it would be only 3.125 on the finished bag.  It would be to small to fit over the sabot for tying.
Dan

uscs digger

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. Now lets see if I can put it to good use for a display.