Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Can a minie-type bullet have an "x" on a flat nose?  (Read 2237 times)

socksinacan

Can a minie-type bullet have an "x" on a flat nose?
« on: March 06, 2022, 11:52:12 PM »
Good evening!  Let me begin by professing my own ignorance. I'm probably about to sound stupid.  😂 I have a question.  Short version is, would any minie-type bullet in the Civil War have had a flat nose with an "x" in the center (to facilitate bloom, maybe)?

Long version.  I used to live some miles outside Fort Gibson, Oklahoma.  Ten years ago, I bought a metal detector and was trying it out in the front yard and I found what looked like a minie ball in the dirt.  Had creamy white surface, rings at the base, and the "x" on the nose.  I got a little excited, but someone told us that the "x" means it's relatively modern.  So we kept it a while and lost track. Probably went in the trash.  No pic, unfortunately. There was a skirmish near where I lived, The Battle of Menard Bayou. The state historical society puts the skirmish at one location, but last night I found a report from a relic hunter of musket and minie balls found at a nearby location instead, moving it closer to me.  Then, I found a local historians account that landed where I found it right in the action.  So... we may have gotten some very bad advice.  Did we lose a neat little find?  Very hard to say with no picture, I know, so any bits of knowledge you have is greatly appreciated!

aggiereb

• Email
Re: Can a minie-type bullet have an "x" on a flat nose?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
It's four months since your initial post.  I'm surprised someone didn't jump on this sooner.

Without pictures, I'm assuming it to be a carved bullet.  I'm also assuming the "X" is indented and not raised.

Just my thoughts.

Wes