Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Save Your Pennies!!  (Read 4346 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Save Your Pennies!!
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Might be a lot of nice relics hitting the market:
              http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/07/harrisburg_mayor_papenfuse_civ.html
I've not been to the museum.  Anyone know if there are any nice artillery shells there?
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Save Your Pennies!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:03:32 PM »
Ken and I went there on one of our treks out East.  It's a nice museum on an awesome spot on a hill overlooking a tired city that is the state capitol of PA.  I thought they were trying to infuse a tourist angle into that decrepit city North of G-burg by building this up, but a lot of the stuff in there was acquired from unscrupulous dealers who overcharged them and there are some phonies in there too.  I recall they recently had to auction off the non Civil War wagons and other post war stuff they bought.

They had shells but not too many.  They had a couple cannon though including an ordnance rifle acquired from Ron Weaver who we also visited on that trip, that I'd like to get at the right price, but they should just eat it and keep it as is or else sell all the stuff in one big lot for another museum. 

Having flown in and out of Harrisburg 3x this Spring, nobody is going there for anything unless they want to drive to Hershey and eat chocolate.  To be brutally honest, Harrisburg is a dump and this is the best thing they have to offer so kudos to the mayor for trying to make something out of nothing even if he did get ripped off in the process of rapidly acquiring the pieces on display.

Selma Hunter

Re: Save Your Pennies!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »