Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Haunted Collector  (Read 8615 times)

tom buckley

• Email
Haunted Collector
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
I was just checking to see what's on TV tonight and see that Haunted Collector on SyFy at 9:00 is going to have  a segment about a Civil War bullet from Sharpsburg.
I'll have to check that out.  ;D

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Haunted Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
You used to see these on eBay -- a common $1 3 ringer with a tale of folks feeling otherworldly chills in the presence of a dropped Minie ball and even smelling the faint scent of pipe smoke.  They claimed they couldn't get the haunted piece out of their houses fast enough and wanted someone else to buy it which some numbskulls did.

These common bullets went for huge bucks -- it was quite a racket and much more creative than today's scammers who write "Peach Orchard" on a bullet (that may or may not have been in use in 1863) and photograph with a battle map as background.  

I don't believe in ghosts, but acknowledge some do and won't argue the point.  It must be scary for those folks.  That said, I might've bit on one of those eBay bullet if rather than of pipe smoke, the faint scent had been a more realistic army life one of 30,000 unwashed men and animals.  :D

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:30:07 PM by emike123 »

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
I saw that last night....  And like a train wreck, I had to watch some of it.

They were smart enough to not really show the relics they found.  But they appeared fake (big surprise).  The "dug" bullet had next to no patina and the Buckle/breastplate was rather "minty" to have been dug especially if it was to have come out of a grave.

Another piece of CW crap on TV

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
It was rather predictable.  ::)
They could have at least used a fired bullet.