Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: James Shell Collection  (Read 6030 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
James Shell Collection
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
If you collect James shells of any type Jack Melton just posted a first rate collection on his web site.  Some are very rare, with only a few examples known

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: James Shell Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I got several of the pieces posted under the "Mansfield" post below from Jack out of this collection at the Mansfield, Ohio show.  Nice stuff.  Wouldn't be anything left if I had enough $!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
Mike,
  Where is the "Mansfield" post?
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »
Under the "General Discussion" section

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
To All Interested,
       "Whistling Dick", what a terrible noise the James projectile must have made as it closed the target.
I am posting my rendering of the James sabot makup.  If you study the base view of the James you will notice four to eight approx. 3/16 inch diameter holes, usually found with lead. Once the projectile body has been cast, a genius pattern in itself,either a form or the tin sleeve is placed around the 'bird cage' and the lead sleeve is poured through these hole, next the tin sleeve is placed around the inner lead sleeve and a canvas cover is sewn around the lot and greased. The James, West Point style, fuze is incorporated in the shells.
Fee free to add comments.
Best Regards,
John aks Bart

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
You can see a number of one-of-a-kind James at:
      http://www.relicsofwar.com/cgi-bin/Display_Items.asp?Cat=171&Sub=710
In a number of Jack's typical high quality images you can see clearly the lead (white or gray), the tin and the canvas described and illustrated by John.  Of note the Type-II James did not have the birdcage but used flanges instead.  This consumed more lead but I guess not really a problem for the Yanks given the immense amount found on Sawyers, Dyer, Hotchkiss and the James projectile.  Truely an amazing collecton.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Thanks Carl,
     Below is the Type II you mentioned. I bet the patern maker went crazy making the pattern for both the James Shell.
Regards,
John aka Bart

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »
Thanks John.  You've got an illustration for everything! 
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »
I was fiddling with some projectiles and saw this James shell that clearly shows the holes in the base ring that John noted so I thought I'd take a picture and share it.  The mostly black shell base of this James for the rifled 24 lber allows the white oxidized lead filling the hole to show in contrast.

Of interest I've also the base of a 7-inch James that is an early battlefield pickup and thus in perfect condition.  Of note on this one is that there is no holes in the base.   Perhaps on the larger ones there was a better way to do it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:02:05 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
Thanks Carl,
     For posting the example.  I feel that on the larger shells the outer half moon cutouts may have been used.  Perhaps one of our members knows for certain.
      Additionally, I would like to know how the inside slots were sealed to keep the lead from running inside.
Regards,
John