Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Shelved  (Read 11599 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Shelved
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
When I thought I was going to move to Texas for work 3 years ago, I packed up all my shells and thinned out everything but my fuses, bullets, solid shot and other stuff not likely to cause some busybody neighbor snooping during a real estate open house to cause me grief.  All that is still in my office.  Most of this group of shells pictured here has not seen the light of day for a couple years and I am still organizing it and getting things back that are stored at other locations.  Still, I thought I'd share a status update picture for my friends here on the off chance some of you will come visit and take a closer look.  For those of you who have been here before but only been able to peer into the crates these were housed in, I'd love to have you back.

jonpatterson

• Email
Re: Shelved
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
Looks good there Mike. Definitely easier to show them off than breaking open the crates. Most certainly will come back for another look.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
Mike,

That is an impressive display!!!  Really looks nice.  I can't believe how much it's grown since I last saw it!
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:38:41 AM »
Awesome collection Mike!  Glad you can enjoy it.
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »
             wow !!

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:13:48 AM »
very nice. I even saw stuff I have known on a personal basis.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
Mike that is a handsome museum you have. Have you considered shooting it a section at a time and posting on photo bucket so we can really see each piece.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Thanks guys. 

Jon, you can ride on your bike over anytime.  Carl, already got the air mattress ready for your September visit.  Garret, the trip from hawaii is a little more of a challenge...

Yes, Divedigger, you could say some of your cannon balls are "foundational."  Just wish there were a few more.  Dibs on the next triple fused 15" ball you trip over...

John, I did consider that and took even this photo in a much larger format originally, but decided to for now at least post this quick snapshot for just our members to see through the forum.  Once I get things better situated, I will try to take more pictures and send them to you individually, John... as long as you don't ask me for 6 angles each of the 300+ projectiles shown here  :-\

Meanwhile, here's another shelf...

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
Mike,,
   My chain broke and I am drooling over all of this. ;(
John

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
Mike,

I will power up the moped and head up one day.  Looking at the first picture you posted, it looks like you have some James shells on the bottom shelf towards the right. I assume that is a temporary place as we all know James deserve a more dignified placement than that.  If you don't have room for them, I'll make room here.   :)

Quite impressive for sure. Have a great weekend.

Jon
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

redbob

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
Very nice indeed, several years ago when we were putting our house up for sale; the Real Estate Agent would not list the house until all of the ordinance had been removed. I moved it all to a mini-warehouse where the whole arsenal was protected by a 10 dollar Master lock. I didn't sleep very well for a few weeks and the day that I was moving them out was the day that the Fire Marshal was inspecting the building-for some reason, he was not amused.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Mike,

Pretty awesome display there. You could charge admission. After viewing your collection we could retire to the bar (2nd photo). I'll take a double shot of Mac Mason and some oysters on the "half shell".
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Garret

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Okay, there's your 7" James Bolt on the floor!   ;)
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Good stuff!  Thanks for showing!

I did the storage unit thing a couple of years ago.  Lesser of two evils, storage unit or real estate agent bringing complete strangers through.  Either way it sux.  Maybe we should collect shot glasses or stamps.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:45:50 PM by pipedreamer65 »

R. J. in LA

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
Wow Mike, you've added so much more to your collection since you so graciously hosted my visit to your house a few years back!! I need to get back up there to see all of those wonderful additions. Very impressive indeed, those displays are excellent. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.