Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: were these used ??  (Read 9234 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
were these used ??
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »
   guys,         I see Civil War ' artillery goggles' with a tin case all the time listed on ebay . I believe they come with different color lenses.     I have personally not seen them in old photo's or any references I can remember.
         Does anyone know if these were used by the artillerist, or what these goggles were used for ??

dlw1610

• Email
Re: were these used ??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
CS General Adam Rankin "Stovepipe" Johnson is pictured wearing them after being shot & blinded in both eyes.  They were designed to protect the gunner's eyes.  Personally believe they were rarely used.tovepipe founded the town of Marble Falls, Tx.  After the war he would set out in the fields with a rifle while his wife farmed to protect her against Indians.  When asked  how he could do so being blind, he replied "The Indians don't know that".

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
 blinded in both eyes, yet wearing the safety goggles ??!!          Do you have a copy of the photo ??    Anyone else with any photo's, thoughts or knowledge ??

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
There is a photo of him wearing the goggles in his biography.  Much  about him can be googled.  He was shot in the face accidentally by his own men, was not totally blinded at first & wore the gunner's goggles for protection but later went completely blind.  A remarkable man.   

My set of goggles have blue lenses in wire mesh cupped frames.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Here is the picture David was speaking about.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
 not arguing here - just trying to open a discussion, but that is a post war or posed photo.  I'm wondering if these were  used in combat on a daily basis ??   Were they issued or sutler provided ?? { I have not seen them in any Mordecai or reference materials ].   Any of you book worms ever read about them in the artillery drill books ??

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
The Biography of General Adam Rankin Johnson says he wore them after he was shot through both eyes.  Don't believe the photo was post war & are not all photos posed?  I doubt they were issued, likely purchased privately as the japanned case is much like that used for the folding cups.

The sheer number available suggests a number were put in use.  Can't add anymore so am out of this discussion.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
 thanks for your input !!

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
Adam Rankin Johnson.  One of my personal favorites.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Amen,

I have his book Partisan Ranges.  While still a teenager he bossed a factory operation! Post war formed a college & a town. 
 Although declared incapacitated by Davis & company, he raised another command.