Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: One of the rarest C.S. Cannons  (Read 8815 times)

coonboy

One of the rarest C.S. Cannons
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
R.J. is shown before the big hunt looking over an Ellis & Moore Foundry cannon made in Nashville, Tenn. in 1861.   Of the six mfg. there this is the only survivor, and it is housed in the Mansfield Battlefield Museum.    Coonboy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:54:09 PM by emike123 »
Terry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: One of the rarest C.S. Cannons
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
Back off R.J., I found it first!

Here's a picture of the trunion markings.  Squint enough and maybe you can make the wording out.

R. J. in LA

Re: One of the rarest C.S. Cannons
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
Sorry Mike, Terry & I hitched it to the back of my Yukon & Terry & I took it back to his museum!  ;D  NOT!  That cannon is a beautiful specimen on display in that Mansfield Battlefield Museum.  This museum has some of Terry's excavated artillery shells on display there also along with other artifacts.
It was great to visit with Terry & I got to see & hold those rare bullets he found & posted on the Bullet forum recently.  Those are just beautiful specimens.  He was then gracious enough to show me all the significant historical spots in that area during the Red River campaign.  What a knowledgeable expert for a tour guide, I was honored for him to do this for me take the time to educate me of that area.
It was so good to see he & Carolyn.  Thanks again Terry.

R. J.