Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: CW Shell?  (Read 12333 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: CW Shell?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Sir,
   The shell you provided a link to is the same as the three shell illustrations I have provided above.
Below is an external view of the common shell.
Cheers,
John

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:22:05 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

1840cavsaber

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
The computer illustrations provided were reviewed by myself, but they lack a nomenclature form where in wording,  it would point out the body being Iron, with a lead covering over 3/4 of it. I provided the link with a primary photo of the shell to make sure we both were understanding one another. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However despite taking upon myself to figure out what this was, the key question that still remains unanswered is whether or not this pattern of shell was used in the Civil War by the North or South.......has it been documented, or yet to be??

As of now I haven't been able to locate a source that it has.
But the enemy is here!, we did not want the fight, but the fight is here! R.E.Lee, 1993.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
The lead coated ones were never used here. 

Anyone who hasn't been under a rock for the last 10 years knows a lot of eBay projectiles are complete crap so lets not waste our time trying to find a solution for the problem caused by folks putting up stuff as ACW that noone has ever seen over here before.  There are other forums dedicated to the Quixotic quest of bringing truth and justice to eBay and we are not here to jump in the death spiral of being an eBay vetting website where crackpot sellers can come justify their junk and then threaten everyone who doesn't aid and abet their malfeasances.

There were some field caliber Armstrongs brought over that had the copper studs in the sides that the South imported.  They made it just before the surrender and were never fired in anger.  Many of the shells and fuses were buried along the retreat route.

If you go to Jack Melton's website http://civilwarartillery.com/ and search under "Sir Armstrong" you can read more about these.