Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: electrolysis advice  (Read 7836 times)

1840cavsaber

• Email
electrolysis advice
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Hi guys,

I have a Cavalry carbine snap swivel marked North & Co that sat in an old out building for many years and is covered in rust. Metal is solid and snap still works good, but I would like to clean this up some, to at least a nice slate grey metal.

Normally I would some fine steel wool, but that wont get in all the crevices, and I thought of the elctro method used on arty shells.

Just curious if this method has been used on other stuff besides arty shells?
But the enemy is here!, we did not want the fight, but the fight is here! R.E.Lee, 1993.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: electrolysis advice
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
You can use electrolysis on things other than artillery shells, but small pieces like the clip on your item often fall apart.  It depends on condition, etc. so you might want to post a picture here and ask for suggestions as to how best to clean and preserve it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Hello,

I mostly clean shells and nice frags but have cleaned other items as well.

You can essentially electrolysis about anything that conducts electricity with varying results.  Some softer metals like aluminum would be a mess in sort order when you took them out.  The problem with small iron items is that the rust is as deep on the thin items as the thick ones like shells and that does't leave a lot of good iron left to save so things like bayonettes look rather eaten up.   But what is left is solid and will be good if coated to prevent further breakdown of the iron.

From what you describe about your carbine swivel it sounds like it's in prett good condition.  If so, electrolysis for a few hours should loosen what's on it and clear up the markings.  Zinc-n-Lye will do that too if more convenient for you.

As Mike says, a picture would help give a better recommendation.  For some things like that I find a good wire wheel brush will do a good job.
Best,
Carl

1840cavsaber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »
thanks for the replies,

what is Zinc-n-Lye?  How does that work?  Sounds like it is easier than the electro process.

Fort Donelson relics website has a nice link to do an electro set up, but I'd have to gather up quite a few supplies just to clean one item..... 
But the enemy is here!, we did not want the fight, but the fight is here! R.E.Lee, 1993.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
The following link will explain the zinc-lye process in good detail.

http://www.civilwaroutpost.com/9.html
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
I advise against the lye treatment. That is what we used 40 years ago and is bad corrosive.  I have better luck with a tumbler. A rock tumbler is good for small items that are not fragil. A reverse electrolysis  set up is easy to build with just a small battery charger with a current meter built in.  You would need some stainless steel scraps that you get from a non ferrous metal scrap iron dealer and baking soda, never use salt. That and water is all you need. But I think the rock tumbler would be fine for what you want to do. If you have questions call me and I will help you. 205-672-9310
Steve Phillips

joevann

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
It just so happens, that many years ago several of my friends and I came across a stash of carbine swivels.  One guy used a an old carburetor cleaning dip can on them.  They actually came out looking beautiful and we USED them for many years on our carbine team!  I think I still have it stashed in a closet somewhere...