Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate copper time fuse adaptors  (Read 7980 times)

John M. Brooke

Confederate copper time fuse adaptors
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »

It seems to me there is a large variety of different patterns of Confederate fuse adaptors.
Is it known how many different types there are? How did they manage to be made to the same spec over such a
wide variety of makers? Were they all interchangeable to the specific shell they were intended for?
I would think that there is more to it than just its for spherical balls or rifled shells.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:01:33 PM by John M. Brooke »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Confederate copper time fuse adaptors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:51 AM »
Very nice grouping.  Thanks for sharing.

I've always liked the variety of these.  These were extensively used in a variety of balls and shells.  I don't collect all the varieties but do collect the marked ones.  I know a few of the forumites have some remarkable collections of them.
Best,
Carl

John M. Brooke

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
Thanks Carl,  If there can be so many pages of published material on 1839 regulation U.S. belt buckles(die variations) there should be more info on the wide variety of confederate fuse adaptors.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
Could this be attributed to minor differences between contractors?
John

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
Bart is correct, the variations in form (such as tail-taper, head thickness, length of threading) among same-size models is due to their being manufactured by different contractors. For example, there were several contractors making these fuzes in the Richmond vicinity.

Some differences in head-thickness and tail-taper are attributable to the late-war necessity of conserving copper. A clear example of that is the very-distinctive Atlanta Campaign version of roundshell Case-Shot fuzeplug with a steeply tapered tail.

Other differences are due to the fuzeplug's specific "application." Most of the long-model ones (for use in rifled-cannon shells) have a large-diameter hole in their base. Others have just a "pinhole" there because they were made for use in Case-Shot projectiles.

The great majority of these CS timefuze adapter-plugs have threading which is about .98" in diameter. But a few were made to fit a smaller or larger fuzehole, such as a British-made Whitworth shell's fuzehole, and a captured yankee Parrott shell's fuzehole.

Also, there are several "threading" variations. The vast majority are 12-threads-per-inch. But a few were made with a different thread pattern to fit non-CS-made shells, such as imported Britten shells )left-twist, 14-threads-per-inch) and captured yankee Schenkl shells (10 threads-per-inch).

Regards,
Pete

John M. Brooke

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
Thanks John and Pete, I highly appreciate the information regarding all aspects of ACW artillery collecting in which both of you contribute. I am still kind of new to collecting and may not always ask super interesting questions. Thanks Pete for such an in depth answer to one of the civil wars most basic implements of war. I will stop by your table for sure at the next Richmond show... even if the line is long :)

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »
"The line" at my table is mostly composed of people asking for information and/or relic-ID of something they dug... but I don't mind. :) I'm doing what Tom Dickey did for a newbie-nobody relicdigger student -- meaning, me in the mid-1970s.

I look forward to meeting you in real-life, JMB.

As you probably already know, the afternoon at relic shows is much less populated than the morning hours.  So, if you don't have to leave the show by lunchtime, come back by my table in the afternoon and we'll have plenty of time to talk.

Regards,
Pete