Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bullet Identity help needed  (Read 9299 times)

coonboy

Bullet Identity help needed
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
I have no idea what these  minies are. When dug I thought they were flat base three ringers. They cal at .50 cal and length of 1.00. I have never seen any with the 4 small tic marks on the base as in photo. Possibly post war.  Coonboy
Terry

acwbullets

• Email
Re: Bullet Identity help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
Terry,

Are there any cartridge crimp marks on them. They may be the .50 centerfire bullets for the Remington Rolling Block. I'll do some checking and get back to you. The one on the left almost looks like a .50/70 and the one on the right almost looks like a .50/45.

Ian

coonboy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
No crimp marks at all. Mike should  be here tomorrow and I will let him look at them.  Terry
Terry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
No crimp marks at all, but slight "swage" like marks on the bottom.  I cannot remember ever seeing bullets of this type so presumably they are post Civil War.  The ID at 50 caliber looks about right, but I did not have calipers with me.

I had a super fantastic visit to Terry and Carolyn's place today and after Carolyn graciously fed me, Terry also graciously took me to see the Pleasant Hill and Mansfield battlefields (& points in between) I did not have time to see last time.  Talk about an expert tour -- WOW.  Folks, you need to go there if at all possible. 

One of us will try to post some pictures shortly.  I do not have a card reader to upload my photos right now, but I think there is something for everyone.

coonboy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
ACW and the two MIKES agree with me that these two minies must  be post war probably from some hunter many years ago around the turn of the century.    coonboy
Terry

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:06 AM »
Hi Terry,  I also concur with the post war vintage of these.  However, I believe they are JUST post-war....possibly 1867 or so.  After that the square groove start turning up, and .50 caliber is too large for "turn of the century" when .45 cal. or smaller was popular.

coonboy

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
Thanks Jim, and I agree with the post war dating      Terry
Terry