Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Reverse electrolysis  (Read 15950 times)

Pete George

• Email
Re: Reverse electrolysis
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »
I too have recently been contacted by a TV production company.  They want to do a cable-TV series (!) about a person who does driiling/disarming of civil war artillery shells.  I've been told that Harry Ridgeway turned them down. They might find somebody who can't resist the opportunity to be a TV star, but I hope that person realizes that when you're on TV, you will come onto the radar screen of your local law-enforcement officials -- and local politicians whose agenda may not be compatible with yours.

Sidenote, because somebody will probably ask why I turned down the TV-show producers:
  After the Sam White incident, the local county and city police departments invited me to conduct a class for their Bomb Squads on how to distinguish civil war era artillery projectiles from 20th-Century projectiles (which can be actively-dangerous), how the various fuzes worked, and my Inerting techniques. I did so, with excellent results.  They've consulted with me half-a-dozen times since then. So, I'm solidly established as a well-qualified Professional with the local authorities. But I have zero interest in being a TV star. Also, the TV-show producers want somebody under 60 "who looks adventurous."  That excludes me, on both counts. I scent another "Diggers" type of TV show.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:45:00 PM by Pete George »

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 07:07:56 AM »
   I have a few worries here on a "TV show" .     First, is it really a tv show ?? A sting operation ??  Are authorities looking for names of people that handle LIVE ordnance for a big sweep ??......
       Secondly, if it really is a tv show and if the people that disarm professionally and safely  [ and have a brain in their noggin' not to get involved } all turn them down, are we gonna be seeing some back yard yahoo drilling shells with a Craftsman drill in his backyard ?? That would not be good.......at all......    we all know the results that will bring.....

I can't think of any way to make a show like this interesting to the general public. Watching relics bubble in an electrolsis bath is not prime time tv. Even if this is a real show, they have to 'hollywood' it up and blow something up to keep viewers watching.
     I suggest, if any of you get a call or email, to blow them off, and especially do not offer up names of others ' that might be interested'. My thoughts are this sounds way too fishy -fishy.  I also recommend we pass the word on to all who are in the collecting community
                                                 sincerely, Joe Smith  Perth, Australia !!

joevann

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:46 AM »
Yes, I concur.  It is a stupid idea for a reality show.  That's why I always loved my job.  Nobody was ever looking over my shoulder.  When done safely and properly, it is pretty boring to observe.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Hello bigironman, I loved the article. It was very well done and spot on for us types. Thanks to Wilmington Mike for sending it to me. There are some very accomplished fellows on this forum and you certainly add to the mix. I have learned quite a bit from all and continue to be educated. While I have never been asked to be on tv, my cannon ball was invited to be on a digger type show. I declined as I don't want any more scratches or shovel marks on it. Will see you soon. David

bigironman

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:37:15 PM »
Yes, let's all stay off the TV

joevann

• Email
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »
I've had a bad experience with TV.  In 1998, the History Channel brought me in to explain the reason for the Port Chicago Disaster during WWII.  The base Historian at Concord Naval Weapons Station had given them my name because I had recently done a thorough study of the records to debunk a local politician's conspiracy that it was an atomic explosion.  Anyway, I was assured it was simply a documentary of America's worst WWII stateside accident.  When it finally aired, it was a propaganda piece to get the dishonorable discharges reversed for the ring-leaders of the black stevedores' mutiny that occurred at Mare Island Ammunition Depot following the explosion in Concord, CA.
I hate being used and lied to.