Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War Felling Axe  (Read 11548 times)

dave h

Civil War Felling Axe
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »
I found this felling axe head, along with two dropped 58 cal three ringed Georgia bullets (identical to one on pg. 52, #390) in McKee and Mason's book at a location known to be a Confederate camp site (1862).  I have had two folks agree the axe matches this period, and is like ones shown at this site:

http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/dugtools.html

misipirelichtr

• Email
Re: Civil War Felling Axe
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »
Dave, I am the farthest thing from an expert on this forum, but I have dug a lot of axes.  The one you picture does have some characteristics of Civil War period axes, but it struck me as having a bit more exaggerated blade angle and overall thinner appearance than the ones I am familiar with.  As with anything, the maker might have been scrimping a bit in quality in the name of a fast buck.  The axes I've recovered are more in line with those on the link you provided (great site by the way).  Not saying yours is not period, just that I'm not familiar with that exact style

1840cavsaber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »
there might be some examples shown in the Francis A. Lords Civil War antiques book.

I have 2 axe heads made by C. Hammond that are also marked Cast Steel 2. I was never quite sure if they dated from the CW, but they are identical to some others I've seen.
But the enemy is here!, we did not want the fight, but the fight is here! R.E.Lee, 1993.

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Robert McDaniel told me to look for the point of metal that dips down on the handle as in your photo. This is wartime and probably issued to the troops.