Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The body is still warm  (Read 11946 times)

joevann

• Email
Re: The body is still warm
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
I would like to see a 3.2 fired.  That was our last field piece with no recoil system.  I can see how a hobbyist could make the bag charges, making the banded projectiles seems like quite an accomplishment.  Where in the world does your friend find the primers?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
We can ask him about the primers, but as for the projectiles, he is a talented metallurgist.

If you want to be a powder monkey on his crew at Grayling, I may be able to convince him to take you.  I am not going up there and sleeping in a tent with a bunch of dudes ;-)

joevann

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »
Oh, I don't know if I want to participate.  My shooting days are behind me.  I sure would like to see it.  This isn't the Paulson brothers, is it?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »
No, PBO is way North of both of us and they may go up there too, but Grayling is a firing range in upstate Michigan.  A hike...

I am with you on being ok just seeing the gun and rounds.  He's over my way...come on over.

On the flip side, I bid on a few things at this weekend's Rock Island Auction.  I did not go crazy so may not win any but if I do it is always nice to go out there this time of year and see the eagles along the river.  I'll let you know if I am coming out that way...

foxholefrank

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
 :DHELLO, SHRAPNEL WAS USED BY U.S. FORCES IN THE BATAAN CAMPAIGN IN 1942. PROBABLY NOT USED AFTER THAT.
                                           FOXHOLEFRANK.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
:DHELLO, SHRAPNEL WAS USED BY U.S. FORCES IN THE BATAAN CAMPAIGN IN 1942. PROBABLY NOT USED AFTER THAT.
                                           FOXHOLEFRANK.

Do you have a reference for that?  During WWII Shrapnel was authorized for training purposes only as none had been manufactured for at least 15 years making the powder-train time fuzes very unreliable due to their age.  I have seen a photograph captioned as U.S. Troops dodging shrapnel in Bataan, 1942, which would indicate the Japanese were using it, and they certainly had it in their inventory.