Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The body is still warm  (Read 11936 times)

joevann

• Email
The body is still warm
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
I just finished cooking a Parrott this morning.  Although, this came from a test pit with many turn of the century projectiles, (I'm cooking a 3" proof round right now)  I doesn't appear to have been ever fired.  I think it was just dropped in the pit.  Think it's worth anything?

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: The body is still warm
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
Hello Joe,  is it fuzes?  Tell us about this glory hole.
John

joevann

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Chilled shot.  No fuze.  Not much to tell.  ( I ain't going to, anyway)  It was an area used to test gun carriages.  Fired into a sand pit at a range of about 50 feet.  Most manufacturing arsenals had such a feature.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »
For a Parrott, you probably already know its an uncommon and desirable projectile. 3 I have seen recently went for $800-1000.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
No, I didn't know.  I've accumulated a few interesting pieces, but I don't do much buying and selling.  I actually thought it was kind of common from the number I've seen over the years.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
I'd be willing to trade for a Frankford Arsenal 3.2" or 3.6" shrapnel with the 15- or 28-second beehive fuze...

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
That beehive fuze is a tough one. I am not really up on post war stuff, but a good friend of mine has the Span Am War era 3.2" gun which he live fires each year at Grayling. He makes rounds for that competition, but had been looking for the shell for a while.  We finally got him one this past Franklin Show but it was fuze-less so he's still looking for the fuze.  You can wrestle him for it when one does finally turn up!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
Joe show us an image of the beehive.  I think I know what you are talking about but the others may not.  WWI PTTF?

joevann

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
I have a fuze, but I sure would like a projectile.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »
This is the projectile I'm looking for.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
Yep. that's it.  Cool how they got the shot in there so neatly.  Come over this direction and you can see it along with the gun that fires it.

Several of the canister rounds for that gun have become available over the last couple years.  They look like one of the Sawyer canisters in D&G, but are a little bigger in diameter

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
Joe where was the powder?  I bet you can get fuze and shell on BOCN.
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
Diagram shows the powder in the nose with all the balls arranged behind it in a thin walled shells.  It would seem to not be ideal for scattering the case balls with great velocity.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
Carl thanks, I see it now.  You are right it is a poor design   How about Joe are we missing something?
John

joevann

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
Powder is in the nose.  The balls are in there so neatly because there are little pie-shaped cast iron pieces with dimples to fit them precisely!  It actually worked very, very well with the cast iron plates, the head and the body all adding to the damage.  The more common base charged was simply cheaper to manufacture.  However, having worked ranges where both of these types were used, the projectile from base charged type always falls far short of the impact area for the shapnel, whereas all the shrapnel and the fragments in the nose charged variety impact the same general area, just like case shot.  The development of high explosives suitable for artillery projectiles made all shrapnel obsolete.  We still had a lot in our inventory at the beginning of WWII, but it was all used Stateside for training.