Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 11976 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Does the size and weight match the Wiard ?
John

callicles

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
Joevann,

Yes, there have been reenactments near the section of battlfield we surveyed.  I like your thinking, but would hope that no reenactor would fire such rounds as modern highways literally encircle the section of land we surveyed (it is a very small section we hunted).  I would also suspect that there were rules in place for folks not to fire live rounds.  Having said that, you never know, for it has been documented that some reenactors accidently leave live rounds in their guns (pistols).  Anyway, I can't see a responsible reenactor using any part of the battlefield as a "range." It is just too populated.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Does the size and weight match the Wiard ?
John

John, that's the problem, we can't find the precise weight for the Wiard.  Maybe I'm missing something and I hope you can help me.  Again, from what I gather, the whole Wiard ammunition deal and lead-canister deal is just a mystery or grey area of the ACW.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
The size is close to the size in 2.6" Wiard canister which is why I asked but if none were on the field, it is probably to the James which used both lead and iron balls from what Dave and Carl have told me

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
Many unsolved mysteries in the ACW, perhaps this is another. :'(
John