Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Quincy, IL National Cemetery  (Read 7904 times)

jonpatterson

• Email
Quincy, IL National Cemetery
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
Over the holidays I visited my mother in Quincy, IL and for the first time visited the small (less than half an acre) national cemetery there. Although I grew up in Quincy, I never bothered to visit it. To my surprise I was greeted by 4 rather tall upright cannons. During the Civil War, Quincy (located on the Mississippi north of St. Louis) was the site of 5 military hospitals.
Quincy National Cemetery began in 1861 as a small soldiers' lot within a cemetery along the banks of the Mississippi River.  At the turn of the 20th century, however, all of the burials were reinterred across town, in a new lot at which eventually became Quincy National Cemetery.  The cemetery is the final resting place for more than 200 Civil War soldiers.

Can anyone identify the cannons for me? They are dated 1846 and 1848, are marked “JRA” over “TF” and probably stand about 9' tall.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Quincy, IL National Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Neat.  Cannons look like they may be 32pdrs to me. 

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »
Thanks Mike

Robert E. Lee

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
Hello,

I thought the same but am not a cannon guy.  Odd thing is that it looks like 12-lber size balls on the ground around it and the cannon is certainly not a 12-lber; much too large.
Best,
Carl

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:28 PM »
I cann't honestly say I remember if they were 12 or 24 pound balls, but I knew they seemed too small to go with the size of cannon.

Robert E. Lee