Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Sons of Guns  (Read 5416 times)

ETEX

Sons of Guns
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

Lt12pdr

• Email
Re: Sons of Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
It was hot that day we did the live fire,100+,but we had a blast.Five rounds of solid shot,one round canister,all fixed ammunition.We were shooting 1.5 lb. cannon grade ,slightly less that what the normal field load is.The gun recoiled 4-5' with the solid and 8' on the canister.The film crew had mike's everywhere but in the woods.My wife, Rose, and a few friends said they could hear the balls crashing through  the trees in the distance.
Michael Cherry

Jack Wells

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
Fantastic to say the least !!!!!
Jack
Charles.J.Wells (Jack)
SGM. U.S.A. Ret.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
I told Mike about seeing the episode and I believe he probably looked it up and I thought heck I might as well post it. I thought there might be a good chance a response from individuals involved would be on the forum. It was quite an impressive episode and the preparation with x-raying the tube and all. That is incredible on the recoil, I am a bullet collector and have very little knowledge on the artillery side but I am impressed.

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
We also did a PMI test on the gun,Positive Material Identification,and since it was cast from bells the make-up is a little different than regular gun bronze of 85% copper and 15% tin.Copper was 78%,tin 14%,lead 4.2%,and antimony [which is used in bell castings] 3.4 %.All of this the Discovery Channel paid for.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Well, I have met Michael once and know there are only about 5 bronze CS light 12pdrs in private hands (& I have seen two of the others in the past month).  Yet I am too stupid to have made the connection even when Michael F said "I think you know that guy" and my cannon friend up here said "I met that guy -- he lives down in...."  I think it is because Michael went to the beauty parlor before this was filmed and used a pseudonym, that 4 letter word "Mike"!

I am going to get me a CS cannon and we can go into battle together!  Until then, you stand alone.  Very cool.  Congratulations.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:29:05 PM by emike123 »

Lt12pdr

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
Thanks.
Will be in your area this weekend for my son's graduation from Navy bootcamp.
With Regards,
Michael

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
Pack warm clothes -- its snowing right now.    >:(