Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Looking for some input on my collection  (Read 9099 times)

dough

• Email
Looking for some input on my collection
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
I have a okay collection of dropped bullets and number of 3 ringers the I have found over the years metal detecting.  I have Tom Stelma's book and CD as reference.  I was thinking last night about down loading the BulletFile program and really spending some time loging and creating a data base of my small collection.  I think it would be fun to go through this process and really learn about what I actually have. 

So I was wondering what a good numbering system would be?  I would have liked to have started with "1" but I don't know what my first bullet was.  So I'm wonder what would be the best way to proceed here. 

Does numbering the bullet with ink impact it's value?    What is the best ink pen to do this with?
Doug Rouner

Pete George

• Email
Re: Looking for some input on my collection
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
  For bullets, I'd suggest marking with a pencil, which can be erased in case of an error or just desiring to remove the marking, whereas ink cannot be erased.

dough

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Good idea, I've got plenty of mechanical pencils from my drafting days in high school.. You know before computers!
Doug Rouner

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
I use Bullet File and have my collection in wooden display cases and cabinets. I arranged and set my collection up by assigning a number to the case, row, and bullet. I then type and have an inventory for that cabinet/case that will correspond to the bullet file number. You can either reference the bullet by Id or Inv number from the bullet file. I have enclosed a photo of a case of bullets from a certain location and for example I can look at the inventory sheet I have associated with the case and immediately look at a specific bullet and refer the bullet from the inventory to the printed copy of the bullet file. For example I can look at the bullet in Cab 11 Row 4 Bullet 6 and get the Inv number and go straight to the correct page and have all the information immediately. With the photo attached if I want details on a certain bullet I can go to the Cab and get the numbers by Cab 11 Row 4 Bullet 5 and the corresponding Inv # which happens to be Inv # 1140 in my collection. I take that inventory number and go straight to the hard copy of the bullet file I keep in binders and find Cab 11 Row 4 Bullet 5 and can retrieve any information on the bullet I am looking for. Like its a MM-350, Lube Groove, dug by xxxxx at Crump's Hill, paid $, current value $ and and any remarks you wish to add in the detail section. I happen to reference the MM and TT in the section on the bullet file page and then in remarks I add Tom Stelma's and RBTRF Vol I,II, III, IV and bullet number plus cavity depths, damage if any on bullet, etc. You can also reverse the process and say you want to look up information on a certain MM/TT bullet in your collection just go to the MM/TT list arranged by Bullet File and find the cab/row and bullet number and you can go straight to the bullet. Wow, I hope I didn't totally confuse everyone because I think I confused myself. 

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
I also meant to add the information to the above post that I do not write or mark on my bullets or any of my relics. The only marked bullets I want or Macs and I will take donations for all of ya that want to give away any of his marked bullets.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
Wes, I believe Tom Henrique is a member of the forum and he is the one who wrote the program. Have you tried dropping him a email or PM.

The program is a good program and I would love to see it upgraded. I have never been able to attach photos though.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
  I'll send you Tom Henrique's number in a Private Message.

Regards,
Pete

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
Tom's also on Facebook too! ;)
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
Wes, if you get in touch with Tom drop the bug in his ear to update/upgrade Bullet File. I would love to see a new version come out and with input from Bullet File users I think he could design a dynamite program.