Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Happy Birthday MARINES!  (Read 9707 times)

Bryan

• Email
Happy Birthday MARINES!
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »
10th Nov 1775.  237 years old and still growing.  Semper FI!   

Happy Veterans Day tomorrow to all the other Veterans.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Happy Birthday MARINES!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
Happy birthday to the first ones in!  A job for only the tough.

Being a Navy brat I won't repeat all the names for the marines I've heard over the years!  They were kidded in fun but they were appreciated.

And happy veterans day to all who served in whatever capacity.  It is much appreciated.
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
Bryan and Carl thanks for the comments and remembrance of Veterans Day.

Carl you stated you were a Navy Brat and discussed the names given to the Marines by sailors. Gotta agree with ya after retiring as a Navy Chief I heard some very colorful names and adjectives used in the same sentence and the Corp. All in fun.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
My dad was a CPO as well.  The good names I heard happened in the late '70's when we lived on the Naval base in Millington, Tn. (just north of Memphis) expecially when some RWB was involved.   A Marine sargent lived next door to us in Navy housing and he and my dad would have a lot of fun with each other whenever the opportunity arose.  Heaven forbid one would make a mistake.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:51:07 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Looks like I'm the only Marine.  The Few, The Proud, The Marines.   The only good saliors are the Navy Corpman assigned to the Marines!

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Bryan, I think Wes was in the Corp and try to be nice. I was very nice in refraining from calling yall the best dressed Sea Going Bellhops I have ever seen. ;)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Gee, being that the Marines are part of the Navy, we always considered them the Naval Auxiliary. ;D

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
I did not serve in our armed forces, but many of my kin folks did including my father (Army), Uncle (USMC) and both brothers-in-law, one who drove F4s for the USMC and the other who flew F-16s for the Air Force. 

Another who served our country was my great, great, great, great, great uncle, Lieutenant William S Bush of the Marine Corps.  He was one of two Marine Lieutenants aboard Old Ironsides, the USS Constitution, and he died heroically in battle for our country.

http://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/article/first-united-states-marine-officer-killed-combat-%E2%80%9Cshall-i-board-her-sir%E2%80%9D

His death in combat was the first time a United States Marine Corps officer had suffered such a fate. Gone but not forgotten, the U.S. Navy later named two destroyers for William Bush. The first was a World War I-era destroyer, Number 166. The second, DD-529, had a distinguished fighting career in the Pacific during WW II, but similar to the ship’s namesake, was fated for death in combat in 1945 when she was repeatedly struck by kamikaze aircraft and sank off the island of Okinawa.

A section of the chapel at Annapolis has a dedication to Lt. Bush who died serving his young country exactly 200 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:52:33 AM by emike123 »

Selma Hunter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
Mike --

Your great great great great great uncle Bush lived a long time for a guy who died in battle.  Or, you meant to say "200 years ago"? 

In any case, his service and sacrifice are appreciated.

The Curmudgeon-in-Chief

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
oops, late Saturday night math not so good.   :-[

Correction made above.  KIA exactly 200 years ago.

rommack

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »
In 1968 while stationed at Coronada, CA Navy Base I was watching the Navy inquiry into the capture of the USS Pueblo.  I was standing outside in my Civies watching the crowd when a stunning young girl walked by in a tiny mini skirt.  I was staring rather hard at her (Okay I was leering) when a rather large Marine got in my face and hollered at me. "I'm going to whip your Navy ass for staring at my girl."  We squared off and I told him "I'm no damn squid - I'm a Marine"  his demeanor immediately changed and a smile crossed his face.  He said "You're a Marine too!"  He put his arm on my shoulder and grinned and said"Boy, she is a hottie isn't she?  Let's go get a cold beer."  Semper Fi!