Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: ID Request #2  (Read 11621 times)

Jim J.

ID Request #2
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
Here is another ID request for y’all.  The measurements on the brass body (?) are as follows – 1” outside diameter with 11.5 tpi (measured with a gauge), overall length of 1.5 inches (one end has been sawn off), central hole 5/16” diameter and ~ 1 & 7/16” deep – partially broken through at the cut end.  Here are the images, overall view, base and then cut end.

As always, comments and questions appreciated.
Jim J.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: ID Request #2
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »
I have an idea, but can you re-check the outside diameter?

Jim J.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
Oops, sorry!  Just under an inch ~ .98 to .985" with digital calipers.
Jim J.

Jim J.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
Mike - Thanks for the information.  It adds up, but there are a few anomalies.  Yes, I do have Jones' book - within arms reach, a wonderful reference!  My problem is as follows, the cut end of the brass piece has a partial ragged hole, not a circular hole.  It is as though the hole from the base was a blind hole, with a ragged base end, then cut off - it does not look like a through hole that one has for the slider.  Also, if there was an anvil cap screwed into the front, then one would see the outline of the threads - no go, nothing there!  What is the diameter for the slider?
Jim J.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
I deleted my response while you were writing and posting your response to my now deleted one so your last post may not make sense to others.  My deleted post had been that it was a brass Parrott percussion fuse bottom, but the Parrott fuses are 1.125" in diameter so that's not it.  I cannot find another fuse this size and shape so I am stumped for now too.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
Jim,
    In first image, does it have a tapered body or straight sides?
Can you post a top view of the first image?
Is the inside hole straight or tapered?
Did it come from the Galveston wreck?
I cannot relate where image 3 fits!?
John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:07:34 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
I think we're assuming it's an artillery item.  Did you get it from somewhere that would make that probable (i.e. from a shell, from a recovered box of artillery items, etc.)?

It seems too short but might it be a cut off cannon vent hole?
Best,
Carl

Jim J.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
Thank you all for the responces.
Bart - the third (last) smaller image is the cut (possibly the top) end.  The sides are straight / parallel.  The inside hole is smooth and straight.  It was recovered from the Galveston wreck, as a loose artifact.  The wreckage was spread over a wade area in the channel.  We did not have intact chests or boxes, just lots of stuff scattered around.  BTW, good talking to you today.
Carl - Yes, I am assuming that this artifact might be a fuze, as it has that feel aout it.  A cut off vent bushing is a possibility, I had not thought of that idea!
Jim J.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
Jim,
inside diameter is too small for any percussion slider that I know of.
Inside being straight precludes use for paper wrapped time fuse.
I don't believe it is an ACW fuse or fuze.
Regards,
John

geneingram

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
I had one similar to yours only about twice as long, it was a repair vent for a cannon, they enlarged the old burned and pitted vent and drove the new vent in, if you check with a friction primer you will see it fits.  Yours has been cut off and the bottom end of the hole has been deformed by the saw.
Gene Ingram

Selma Hunter

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:28:51 AM »
FWIW -

Vents were sometimes referred to by the French term "Bouche" and there were provisions for replacements. 
Standard vents were sized at 20/100th of an inch (internally).  Dahlgren went to some length in his 1853 treatise on preparation of quill primers in describing the selection of proper feathers (quill bodies) noting that the maximum allowable size was to be 19/100s inch to allow the quill to fit properly into the Bouche. Clearing the vent between each shot would have been mandatory methinks when using quill primers. 

Somewhere in my notes I have a profile drawing of a replacement - these were supposed to be platinum-soldered into the breech when properly seated.  Only the top few inches were threaded - the bottom section of the replacement vent was held in place by the solder.

FWIW.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:38:30 PM by Selma Hunter »

Jim J.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
Thanks again for all of the comments.  The idea that the artifact could be a copper vent sleeve, to replace a worn vent hole, has possibilities. 
Bill - the information on the diameter of the quills, and the vents, raises yet another question. 
Why replace a worn vent with an oversize copper bushing, the internal diameter of the hole is 30/100th of an inch?  Dahlgren was calling for a vent diameter of ~ 20/100 of an inch.  One also has to realize here that there was a War on, and when in the field, one made do with what you had in hand for repairs!  Good idea as to what the artifact may have been used for.
Bart - Thanks for the comments about the internal ID and the width of percussion sliders, so it most likely is not a fuze part. 
Gene - knowing that a friction primer fits, adds to the vent bushing idea.
Jim J.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
Bill,
How is a worn liner removed.  What cannon would use a new liner only 1.5 inches long?
John

Jim J.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Bart - I think the piece that we have, if it is a liner / vent bushing, was the "extra" that was cut off.  I am not up on how they were made, need to do yet more research.
Jim J.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
All -

A quick and short response until I can uncover the drawing of the replacement Bouche.  First, the purpose of the two photos I last posted was to demonstrate the PRESENCE of vent liners in guns as they were sent from the Gun Foundry.  If you look at the two photos you will see the the circle apparent where the top of the vent liner is seated and filed flush with the surface of the tube.  These two look like they are white metal, but the spec calls for copper.  When time came to replace a vent it was heated to liquify the platinum solder and then it was unscrewed.  Only the top 2" or so was threaded as seen in the photos Jim sent.  The rest of the "liner" was simply secured by the solder.  Altogether the liners were equal in length to the thickness of the breech from surface to chamber wall.

Will try to locate my pics of the liner.  Really a neat drawing!

Bill