Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Thank God for stupid vandals  (Read 9377 times)

jonpatterson

• Email
Thank God for stupid vandals
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
MIDDLESBORO, Ky. (AP) - Rangers in the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park in Kentucky are using video surveillance to catch images of people defacing a Civil War cannon.

WYMT-TV (http://bit.ly/RhGdJ8) in Hazard reports that park officials say some of the vandals have inadvertently identified themselves, posting photos of them and the cannon on the Internet.

Chief Ranger Dirk Wiley says the five people caught so far face federal charges and the government will seek restitution to pay for damage. Wiley says vandals have carved their names, initials and even profanity into the cannon. He says the gun tube was used in the Civil War and the cannon is a relic, not a decoration.

The park lies at the point where Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia meet, just south of Middlesboro, Ky.

Information from: WYMT-TV, http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews

It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Thank God for stupid vandals
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »
Kind of amazing that people do things illegal and then post it on the internet.  It is hard to understand people sometimes.  At least from watching the video, etc. it appears the defacing was to the most assuredly reproduction carriage and not the tube so that's good.
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
Great news clip, thanks for posting. I would like to know the outcome of the court proceedings when it's all said and done.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
I actually found the article as a link from a newspaper from here in Illinois, but hope to be abe to learn the outcome also.

As was said, it is amazing people will do somthing illegal and then post it online. I met a lot of AMAZING people in the 28 years I was a police officer.  ;) 

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.... Sure sounds like SHUT UP to me!!!  Stupid people made me look that much better.  :)

Robert E. Lee

gflower

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »
It has been my observation over the last 26 years in the court system that people talk their way into the back of patrol cars who could have just gotten a notice to appear or even a ticket!

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »
Being curious, as was ETEX, to what the outcome of the arrests was I contacted NPS Chief Ranger Wiley. He responded:

"We resolved another two cases just yesterday at court in Knoxville, again with fines and restitution that will help us repair and maintain the cannons.  We've been very successful so far (it's hard to argue with video), but it will take another year, or more, to know whether the message is getting out to the public at large.  As with most things, the law is pale reflection of the public opinion, and peer pressure is still the next best thing to common sense and a conscience."

Robert E. Lee

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
jon, I appreciate the update and hopefully the fines are stiff enough to cover the maintenance for the cannons for years to come.